 Marketplace / Shopping / 2462
2461  |  2463
Subject:
No more 8480 at ZB in Snellville, GA (was Re: 8480 Space Shuttle have hit $56.25 or less!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:08:36 GMT

Got the last two, sorry :).

brent

Matthew Teets wrote:

Ok, I was at the ZB in Snellville, GA tonight and they had 15 of them.  The
manager "Betsy" said that she would sell the lot of them for 59.62 each (that
includes sales tax).  So this is a chance for anyone who wants them.  Good
luck.  (Phone number is 678-344-8830 if anyone is interested)

Matt

Tom Stangl wrote:

Yes, but all you have to do is call and have them shipped.

Unfortunately that's not quite the case--I went tonight to a ZB here in mid- • NJ, where
I'd spoken to a regional manager yesterday.  They called Huntingdon Valley, • PA and
confirmed both a) that they'd been selling 8480 for that price and b) that • it was a
one-off "judgement call" precipitated by the peculiar arrangement of the • signage that
implied the set was an additional 30% off.  The manager of the store today • showed me
a memo that had been thrown off in their region about this specific case • (they were
apparently sick of getting phone calls :) ), and that under vague threat of
"disciplinary action" no 8480s were to be sold for less than $75 unless • damaged.
This entire brouha apparently got a lot of stores in a lot of hot water with • upper
management.

Luckily they didn't get that memo in Birmingham, AL yesterday.  I
intended to buy 4, but they had 6.

Emphasis on the "had"...

Lady I spoke to heard there were folks calling "from the Internet" who
were looking to sell them for lots of money.  Geez, selling these
online would be a last resort!

I expect to sell some off to friends or trade for other kits I've
never seen around.

There are no Zany Brainy's within 50 miles of me, and even if there
were how would I know about these sales without LUGnet and
rec.toys.lego?  Most folks buying on eBay probably never saw the space
shuttle kit; I've only seen one on the entire Island, even though I
swept an awful lot of stores during my LEGO-obsessed Christmas of '98,
and I bought that one even though the box was a mess (typical Toys 'R
Us).

I'll post a trade notice in the appropriate place when they arrive.