 Marketplace / Shopping / 2052
Re: Shut out at Target!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 06:03:52 GMT

Mike Walsh wrote:

After seeing yesterday's posts about the great deals people found at Target,
I headed out this morning to see if I could find any of these deals.  I was
hoping for a Mos Espa or Sith Infilitrator (or two or three) bu
unfortunately I was shut out.  In the Raleigh area there are four Target
stores, one is very close to my house.  I was at the one close to my house
two nights ago and there was nothing at all on clearance, everything went in
the first round.  I hit the other three Target stores on my very out of the
way into the office this morning.

Target #1 (Garner), only thing I found was a Droid Developer Kit ($59.00)
which I passed on.

That's the first level of discount.  Tie/Ys and DDKs are at that level; wait a
week.

Target #2 (N. Raleigh) had (emphasis on had) the best selection but I was a
bit too late (that'll teach me to stop at McDonald's for breakfast).  There
was a woman who had in her cart a number of sets including the RR
Headquarters and a couple of Droid Fighters.  Nothing else on the shelves in
the clearance section.  On the LEGO shelf I found another 5978 for $12 so I
bought it so I guess I was not completely shut out.

Those Droid Fighters were not popular.  When nothing else remained, the Droid
Fighters were still there--darn brown wing POOPs (hmmm, that doesn't sound
pleasant).

Target #3 (W. Raleigh) had one item in the clearance aisle - the large
Adventurers set for $47.  I found a RR HQ in the LEGO aisle and had the
coupon with me but it scanned for full price - $79.99, so I passed on it as
well.

I had this problem when I went to the second "loaded" Target.  The way I got
around it was to find management and point out that other Targets had clearanced
the item, that it should be less expensive because it's cheaper at other
locations (even if it's now gone).  They often have "received" the price
reductions but haven't *implemented* them yet--it's usually done while they're
shifting stock into clearance aisles.  Had I not been "pushy" I likely would not
have done nearly so well. Call back tomorrow and they may have dropped the
price--if you can, stop by and explain your expertise (or better yet, have the
toys manager/CS people call another Target that *did* mark them down).  They'll
look at you kind of oddly, but that way it gets marked down while you're holding
it in your hands, and while it's being a bit of a pain, you're only advocating
store policy, that's all...;)  (And I'm stringing clauses and dangling
participles and....)

I am not surprised that I didn't find anything.  Everybody around here seems
to know that Target has good clearance sales so very few things make it past
the first round of clearance prices.  In fact, the W. Raleigh Target has
reduced their clearance aisle to one side of one aisle.

Geeze.  If you can, look in odd places for merchandise that's fallen by the
wayside--I found my Ninja Fortress that way, shelved in some inexplicable place
among sale dolls.

best

Lindsay