 Marketplace / Shopping / 2051
2050  |  2052
Subject:
What is clearance fodder and what isn't?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 05:49:52 GMT

This applies to Target only.

Well maybe everyone else knew this... but at all the detroit area
Targets, the shelf tags tell the tale.

The "real" LEGO area has shelf tags. At this stage of the game, it seems
that if a set had a shelf tag (either in the real area, or in the LEGO
part of the Star Wars area), it 100% of the time was NOT on clearance,
with ONE exception (droid fighter).

On the other hand, if it didn't (have a tag), it was (on some clearance
or another).

Could be a fluke. But it makes a certain amount of sense. The post
christmas shelf tags are much reduced... ResQ is gone, insectoids are
gone, UFO is long gone, first year ninja is gone, (from the tags) etc.

What I thought was weird is that all the SW sets had tags EXCEPT Sith
Infiltrator. 3 out of 3 targets (Northland, Eastland, Bellaire Plaza)
did NOT have Sith shelf tags.

I learned this because at one of the stores I went through the clearance
area, pulled out EVERY set I could find, and refiled all the sets that
didn't scan reduced price.. so I learned pretty quick what sets had
shelf tags. But that clearance was such a jumble, it was the only way to
find the sets that were clearanced.

The Target people thought I was weird, no doubt. But I did their work
for them so they weren't complaining. And I gave a lot of moms advice on
what to buy, how the clearance game worked, and pointers to Lugnet. It
was kind of funny, I remember at one store, a mom walked up and said
"hey lego guy, I know you can answer my question, I overheard you answer
someone else's" :-)