 Marketplace / Shopping / 2055
Re: What is clearance fodder and what isn't?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 14:28:04 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

This applies to Target only.

The "real" LEGO area has shelf tags. At this stage of the game, it seems
that if a set had a shelf tag (either in the real area, or in the LEGO
part of the Star Wars area), it 100% of the time was NOT on clearance,
with ONE exception (droid fighter).

In the case of Target, I believe that 'clearance' pricing is generated
by three corp parts: national, regional, & store. Most of the prior
Target clearances seem to have been 'regional' (possibly suggested by
national), with certain regions opting out. The current clearance
appears to be 'national' in scope. The three Targets I visited had
exactly the same Lego stock on clearance. From prior experience, I
believe these stores to be in two different regions.

On the other hand, if it didn't (have a tag), it was (on some clearance
or another).

In one store, I found bare clearance shelves. I went over to the
'regular' price Lego aisle and found two 4561s. They scanned clearance
price. Only reason they were still there was they did not get put on the
clearance aisle.

I learned this because at one of the stores I went through the clearance
area, pulled out EVERY set I could find, and refiled all the sets that
didn't scan reduced price.. so I learned pretty quick what sets had
shelf tags. But that clearance was such a jumble, it was the only way to
find the sets that were clearanced.

I do that in many stores (not just Target). KM is notorious for having
poorly organized shelves. The only way to find anything is to unscramble
the mixed up boxes, and see what falls out with no shelf tag. Especially
small boxes. Some Hovertrons and Bandit Ambushs have shown up by doing that.

Ray