 Marketplace / Shopping / 12602
Re: Target Prices Plunging!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 17:27:30 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Tom Reed wrote:
If you haven't already checked out your local Target this year for the Christmas
markdowns, you might want to run over there now.  I don't remember prices being
reduced this quickly before, but some are falling rapidly.  I picked up a
Mindstorms NXT #8527 for 30% off yesterday afternoon and today it's down to 50%
off!  Plus, the City Building Crane #7905 is also down to 50% off!  Some sets
are still at the 30% markdown.  I think the following were only 30% off at the
moment:

Happy New Year Everyone !!!!!!!  May the year 2007 bring you joy and prosperity.
I hope this is the best year of your life.

I waited before posting on Target price dropping.  I was in the LEGO store at Tyson’s Corner LEGO store along with Tony and Ed during lunch on the day this was posted. (Somehow people from our LUG always manage to meet there.) I hit two of the stores on the way home from work and found one of the new crane sets (#7905) I was looking for at 50% off.  There were plenty of the Nitro (#8682) sets at 50% off also.  I purchased one and left the rest.  Most of the Explorer sets were 30% off. I brought one of the NXT sets at 50% off and left one on the shelf at the second store.   There was a lot of Star Wars, including the Crawler at 30% off.

I phoned Ed and Tony with the details, since their numbers were in my cell
phone, and told them to hit the Target stores.  The next day Ed phoned and said
he checked three stores in the Baltimore area and didn’t find any NXT sets,
mostly Explorer and some Star Wars sets.  I decided to check a couple of more
stores after work and found two more of the NXT sets at 50% off but no cranes.
Again, I purchased one and left one on the shelf.

I did find one store that had about 20 of the Nitro sets and about 12 of the
Cranes sets but all were at full price.  I spoke to one of the assistant or
department mangers and asked why his were still at full price if the other
stores were selling them on clearance.  He told me not all of the Targets priced
the clearance items the same.  I told him I would come back when he decided to
lower the price like the rest of the Target Stores.

I also made the same mistake of phoning some of the stores with a list checking
to see if they had the sets with the SKU number and details. Most of the
Christmas help had no idea what they were really looking for in the first place.
I didn’t check any of the stores in Virginia, only in Prince George County, MD.

The good news in all of this is that the new 2007 sets are being placed on the
shelves. I saw the new Building Bonanza and Star Wars sets last night at the
Silver Springs Target.

If you are looking for sets on clearance go to the store and check, you never know what may be left on the shelf or returned.   I also found out that Target will give you an additional 10% off a clearance item if the box is open or torn if you mention it to the employee.

Another side note the Toys R Us in Takoma Park, MD is closing for good.  I was
there a couple of days before Christmas and most of the sets were discounted to
some degree.  A lot of the boxes were damaged or torn open.  A manager told me
that the damaged sets will be picked up by LEGO.  I honestly think that why they
weren’t concerned that kids were destroying the sets. The final weeks everything
is going to 70% off. Within the next week they should shut down for good.  It
may be worth the visit.

I don’t understand the rationale of selling one of the hottest toys (NXT) at a 50% discount a few days after Christmas, but THANK YOU Target.   And thank you Tom for posting the information.

Happy hunting!!!!!!!