 Marketplace / Shopping / 11990
Re: Lego kiosks in malls?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:55:18 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Bryan Kinkel wrote:
   Last year LEGO put up small kiosks in malls during the Holiday shopping season? Are they doing that again this year?

In suburban Philadelphia, we have the massive King of Prussia shopping center. Last year LEGO had a kiosk in the “Court” portion of the mall. But I have not been in that section recently to check if they set up shop there or not.

Bryan

Those were a Waldenbooks/Borders operation. I worked in one when I was at Waldenbooks during Christmas 2002. My kiosk (in Towson, MD) did terribly - we ended up doing about 19% of the sales we had planned on making. A big part of the problem was that the prices were 20% above MSRP. I did get to play the Holy Grail LEGO animation on the little TV built into the kiosk - everybody loved it!

Waldenbooks did the kiosks again last year, but with fewer locations (I think only 1 in Baltimore, compared with 4 or 5 in 2002). I wasn’t with the company, so I don’t know how they did. Prices were regular MSRP in 2003.

As far as I know, they aren’t doing the LEGO kiosks this year. A couple of my friends still work at Waldenbooks, and they say they got the usual “Day by Day” calendar kiosks, and something called “Christmas on the Mall”.

Marc Nelson Jr.