 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7466
Re: FS/FT: OLD and NEW SETS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:31:02 GMT

Hello? Is it Septmember already?
I thought you were merely spectating only from now on?
Oh wait maybe I forgot that what you say is not quite what you mean. My bad.

Santosh

September means that i'll have a job during the glorified school athletics
carnival, which means money for lego!!! :)

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, James Ng writes:
Hello All,
I wish to wrap this up, I hope this has NOT offended anyone in anyway, as a
communtiy I have respect for everyone but at times I get a bit angry, Dedrie
is TRUE in that I did not read it all as saying that dedrie got a mis-
understanding when Andreas posted it as I could get it from my local shop,
which obviously I couldn't I hop Dedrie and I can gain our communtiy
friendship again as I would like to, as for me I am going to chill out till
september and I understand my youth and inexperience on Lugnet, sorry to all
who have been hurt or regarded des-respective suring this discussion I really
never thought that such I thing would happen, just simply trying to sell some
Lego sets in the marketplace section. I hope everyone chills by the time I
come back, thankyou to all your support, especially Kerry and Dedrie who has
put up with my behaviour lately, I have had trouble also lately at school, for
collecting Lego, I would much appericiate and heat your comments, but I guess
it is good in a way as that I can get all the lego off my friends, eg. 6086:
Black Knights Castle.

Regards to All,
James

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Kerry Raymond writes:

LUGnet is a community, but it is not just a community of adults. As far as I
am aware, children are welcome on LUGnet too. Todd, would you care to
comment on this?

Kerry, I think we all realise that children are welcome, and I have never
said nor meant to imply otherwise.

In real life, most adults communicate differently with children than they do
with adults, reflecting our understanding of a different level of maturity.
We tolerate outbursts from children in a way we do not from adults, etc. The
problem of an on-line community is that we don't have an awareness of
someone's adult/child status, so we do not make that automatic adjustment of
communication/tolerance/etc.

I do not think it is reasonable to expect children on LUGnet to behave as
adults. On the contrary, I think it is the adults who have to show their
maturity by being a bit more tolerant and understanding.
Perhaps we should all include our age in each posting, so we know who we are
dealing with.

James seems to have a problem with being recognised as 12, even though
he usually goes out of his way to state it himself.  Apparently if
someone else says it, it is among other things highly insulting and he does
not wish people to take his age into account when dealing with him.  He
needs to make up his mind on this point.  I pointed out that he was 12 so
that hopefully other people would take this into account when dealing
with him, he does write seemingly contradictory things at times and I
have mostly put that down to youth and inexperience, which apparently
is rude and insulting too.  Would he rather we put it down to something
else?  If I say the alternatives that come to mind then that _would_ be
rude and insulting, even if they were true.

I have tried to tolerate James and I have always taken his age into account
when replying to him.  If he'd read my post properly he would perhaps
have realised that I was offering alternatives to explain what may or may
not have been a misunderstanding on the part of the other posters who
questioned this transaction in the first place.  Instead I get in reply a
torrent of childish abuse in email.

The train saga, on the other hand, was a situation of his own doing and
there for anyone to see on lugnet.  If I were considering a trade with
James I'd want to know about that, it has nothing to do with his being
a child or not.  I stated that I didn't know if it was ever satisfactorily
resolved, giving the seller a chance to clear that up.  Pete W did on his
behalf.

It's obvious that some people think James may not be being upfront with
them, a point that James needs to recognise may be doing him a dis-service
with respect to possible future trades.  So, he needs to work on being
more clear and effective in some of his communications.  How is he going
to learn that if no-one can offer that advice?

Most children (teens) here on Lugnet can and do act maturely, that doesn't
mean that all of them should be expected to behave that way.  James
wants to be treated like an adult and yet he doesn't think he has to try
and act like one, so I stick with my comment that if he wants respect he
should act respectfully.  He certainly hasn't done that with me.  The • comments
about being part of a community originally came from James (here on lugnet
and in his email to me) but his version is terribly one-sided.

Everyone deserves respect regardless of their age (or anything else)
but I'm afraid that James lost mine when he sent me that email.

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com