 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7464
Re: FS/FT: OLD and NEW SETS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:37:17 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Kerry Raymond writes:

LUGnet is a community, but it is not just a community of adults. As far as I
am aware, children are welcome on LUGnet too. Todd, would you care to
comment on this?

In real life, most adults communicate differently with children than they do
with adults, reflecting our understanding of a different level of maturity.
We tolerate outbursts from children in a way we do not from adults, etc. The
problem of an on-line community is that we don't have an awareness of
someone's adult/child status, so we do not make that automatic adjustment of
communication/tolerance/etc.

I do not think it is reasonable to expect children on LUGnet to behave as
adults. On the contrary, I think it is the adults who have to show their
maturity by being a bit more tolerant and understanding.

I am not sure I agree. I think standards of behaviour have to be enforced, and
that while we may make certain allowances, one's age, mental health, mood, or
political beliefs (to name a few factors that might be cited by someone trying
to explain away behaviour) are not some sort of automatic get out of jail free
card.

Standards need to apply uniformly. If someone is 12 and can adhere to them,
they are welcome here. If they are 50 and cannot behave civilly, they are not.

That's my opinion anyway.

FUT admin.general

Perhaps we should all include our age in each posting, so we know who we are
dealing with.

This info is available about members. If you look me up you'll find I am 41.

++Lar