 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 16030
Re: Pay Pal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:45:44 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Douglas Pool wrote:
Hello,

I have been doing some investigation into various sets on Bricklink.com and ebay
and have noticed something kind of odd.  There seems to be a lot of people that
do not list Pay Pal in their accepted form of payment.  I am slow to convert to
a lot a new things but I have found Pay Pal to be pretty easy to use with the
exception of the slow transfer rate of money from bank accounts (that seems slow
with all electronic payments).  So why do people insist on me going to the bank,
paying a fee on top of the check amount to get the bank check or money order so
I can mail them the piece of paper which will take a few days depending on how
far it has to go and then once it is received the person has to take that piece
of paper to the bank and deposit it?

Are they trying to support the banking industry and postal service?

Do they just like things to be more complicated?

Are they not aware of the convenience of paying online?

Are they just right down weary of doing anything financial online because of
security concerns?

or

Have they not gotten around to setting up a PayPal account to accept payments?

I am mostly just annoyed and doubt I'll get any serious answers but maybe
someone will read this and go look at Pay Pal or something similar (I'm using
paypal but that is just because its the most convenient thing I have found thus
far) and decide doing business online for free with less hassle isn't such a bad
idea after all.  I also deem it a hassle to go get a money order or bank check
and have to mail it to someone so I take that in consideration when looking at
LEGO online that I might want to buy.  Others may also.

Reading this over I get the sense that you might think that people that don't
take PayPal are somehow bad people or behind the times or haven't done their
homework.

I think that may be selling them short. I think a lot of them HAVE done their
homework and chose not to use PayPal for perfectly valid reasons from their
perspective.

I take PayPal but I know that it can cost money if the funding is credit card
based or if you get a lot of money in a month, etc... and that it does carry
risk to me as a seller that I do not have if I insist on checks or money orders.

You are perfectly within your rights to avoid sellers that don't take PayPal (or
that don't agree to use pink ribbons in their packaging to you or ...) but do
consider that there may be another side of things. I'd be willing to bet that
less than 5% of those that don't take it do it for any of the reasons you gave.

Hope that helps.