 Marketplace / Services / 555
Re: Pay Pal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:32:35 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Rob Doucette wrote:
In the US, PayPal users are allowed to have 2 accounts:  1 business, 1 personal.

Personal Accounts
- Cannot be linked to the same bank account/credit card as any other PayPal
account
- Cannot accept credit card funded payments which also means you cannot accept
international payments from most PayPal countries
- Cannot receive more than $1,000 per month including transfers from your
business account
- Are not assessed fees for receiving funds

Business Accounts
- Cannot be linked to the same bank account/credit card as any other PayPal
account
- Are assessed roughly 3% + $0.30 of every received payment including balance
funded payments

As a seller, until you know the source of the funds, you can't direct a buyer to
the correct account.

-Rob.

FUT .market.services

Which is why a number of Bricklink sellers have one of each account.  When they
invoice, they state two prices: one for cash/balance transfer, one for credit
card.  Either CC has an extra charge of about $0.30 +3% more, of the
cash/balance price has a "cash discount" (which sounds like you are getting a
deal!)  That way you avoid the fees on non-credit-card transactions.

I sell non-LEGO items on Ebay, and have recently added that idea for
myself...two bank accounts (one checking, one savings,), two credit cards as
backup, two email addresses.  All pretty easy to get.  I've never had funds
"locked", and move the funds out of my Paypal account into my bank account soon
after receiving them...it takes a few days, but it's free to me.  If Paypal
makes their money to maintain and run the site by collecting interest on my
money while it sits there or is in that 3-4 day transfer window, it seems easier
to me than paying a fee outright every time I use their services.  Then again,
I'm in the US (where it's easier to use and to move the money into/out of the
Paypal system), and I don't deal in that much cash in a month.  It's all been
pretty reliable and easy to use for me, as buyer and seller.

Doug