 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 13109
Re: PayPal warnings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:04:01 GMT

Just found out something about Paypal.  Well, I was making a payment to
someone and I was wrong about my balance.  I was short a few dollars, so
rather than take from my paypal balance, it issued an echeck from my bank
account.  Problem was, for whatever reason, it did it twice.  So I figure,
no problem.  I'll just contact Paypal and have them cancel one.  This is one
I discovered something rather disturbing after talking to their customer
service.  They cannot stop the transaction AND. . .

if someone founds out your password, then Paypal is not liable for anything.

So if someone randomly guesses your password, they could send an echeck from
your bank account to themselves and Paypal will not do anything for you.
They won't stop the transaction, nor will they pay you back for the stolen
money.

So, this means that I'll be opening another bank account just for paypal so
that I don't get wiped out if something were to happen.

The thing I found most ridiculous was how the paypal customer service rep
kept insisting that I should already know all this because it's in the terms
of service and I clicked that I read it to sign up.  C'mon!  How many people
really read 20+ pages of legalese to sign up for paypal, or install their
software, or get a credit card, etc.

Jimmy