 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 129
Re: BAD TRADES...SHOULD I FLAME???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:36:07 GMT

Dave Foglesong wrote in message ...

<Snipped>
Before I detail these trades, I just wanted to make sure of some basic • ground rules.

First, in the numerous trades I've conducted, I always send the parts from
my end in a belief that they are being sent by the other end at the same
time.  While this might be naïve, this action rests on a basic trust between
RTL'ers that I thought we shared.  I mean, if we all waited until the other
stuff arrived, who'd trade at all?

Agree that this is the customary way and though I worry sometimes, it's
always worked out. Fortunately, most RTL'ers are trustworthy.

Second, I trade with the understanding that if for some reason either party
isn't satisfied with the parts, a total refund (i.e. return) of traded items
is required.  There's no arguing over stuff.

I've learned this in an after the fact trade. I got parts for a set that
didn't include everything I thought it was supposed to. I didn't pursue it,
thus I lost out. Now, I have no problem requesting a refund or asking for
compensation.

Third, when trading items, time is imperative.  Once an agreement is
concluded, the items should be sent as soon as possible...certainly they
should be sent when the parties say they will.  If a deviation occurs, the
party requiring a delay should immediately notify the other party and keep
them informed until the trade is concluded.

I've been on both sides of this. Usually its with someone who I'd consider a
newbie and hasn't been around long or I haven't seen participate in an
auciton/sale. I'll send out a requeat for information and if I don't get it,
I'll definitely wait for my package to arrive. I've also been quilty of
delays in shipping, though no more than a couple days to a week. Depends on
work and if I can get to the Post Office in time. I may make a deal on a
Sat. or Sun. and not get to the PO until the following Sat. morning. I do
notify of delays though, and may include a "I'm sorry" piece/item.

In this same type scenario, what would you do with a delay in shipping for
an auction or outright sale? This is currently a problem I'm having with a
couple folks. I'll send e-mail that may or maynot be answered and when it
is, items still aren't sent nor am I given a reasonable explanation.
Frustration!

Finally, if an "act of God" prevents one package from arriving, then you
both share the loss by splitting the other package of goodies.  It's neither
fair to say the "sender" nor the "receiver" is responsible for mail loss
unless insurance is discussed and waived.

Though I fortunately haven't had this happen, I would agree that this is a
fair way to do it. Insurance seems a fair thing to discuss.

<Snipped>
The question is: DO I FLAME THESE GUYS?  The last two of them are running
auctions RIGHT NOW on RTL.  I want to conclude my deals with them, and don't
want to flame them if these are honest mistakes, but I don't want other
folks getting screwed by them if this is how they do business.

Unless you truly can't resolve the problems in a reasonable amount of time,
a flame may be in order. I don't personally like them, but it definitely
grabs everyone's attention. Perhaps a "So and So contact me about this" post
would be a better first step. Of course, I had a harddrive crash back in
April/May of this year and was unable to get online for almost 2 months. I
was involved in couple trades and an auction (Matthew Brown's). After
getting back up, I contacted the people and while I missed out on some
items, there were no hard feelings. Thanks to Matthew for not flaming me!

For now I'm waiting to see the results of ongoing consultations, but by
this time next week I'll let you all know the results...hopefully in time to
avoid getting screwed yourselves.  CAN ANYONE TELL I'M MAD?  I apologize for
taking up the bandwidth, but I'm hoping for some feedback.

Rightfully so! Hope you don't need to get Medieval, but sometimes it may
help.

Regards,
Dave Foglesong