 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 11414
  New Brickbay promotion

Well, things have gotten a bit boring for me, so I'd like to liven things up with a new Brickbay promotion. Go to my shop: (URL) every purchase of $10 (up to $30 maximum, i.e. the most numbers you can get for any single period is 3), you will (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jun-01, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

Sorry, but this doesn't scan well... 1) What is a "single period" 2) Is the "random number you will receive" the same as "the mega number you got"?? 3) Which number in the California Lottery selection will be matched to thte "random numbers" (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jun-01, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) Between now and when the mega number is drawn on June 27. (...) Since you receive a number prior to the lottery, you can tell if you won or not. (...) The mega number, which is the last number they pick. (...) I'll send different numbers out. (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jun-01, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) Between now and when the mega number is drawn on June 27. (...) Since you receive a number prior to the lottery, you can tell if you won or not. (...) The mega number, which is the last number they pick. (...) I'll send different numbers out. (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jun-01, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) I believe to make this legal you have to allow people to also be eligible to win by mailing you a postcard ("no purchase necessary" is a required part of any sweepstakes)... --Bill. (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) That's spelled "gyp" and it's a racist term (short for Gypsy), which you should probably refrain from using - I wouldn't be too surprised if you aren't violating the TOS for Lugnet... It's as bad as saying someone tried to "jew you out of" (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) Are you sure about this? I have heard this term many times and always assumed it was gipped. For example, this is how I usually hear the term: "I was gipped (gyped) at the used car lot." I guess I see your point but I think that this was just (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) He is correct. From Dictionary.com: gyp also gip (jp) Slang tr.v. gypped, also gipped gyp·ping, gip·ping gyps, gips To deprive (another) of something by fraud; cheat or swindle. n. 1. A fraud or swindle. 2. One who defrauds; a swindler. (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) Ah yes, but shouldn't Brickbay also be collecting tax? Or paying taxes on earned income? Or many other things that would be "legally required" if Brickbay shops were "real" businesses? I think this might be considered taking life too (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) And even if it were not derived from "Gypsy", as long as there is any possibility that people might be offended, it is probably safer not to use the term. "Renege", which is actually derived from the Latin renegare, meaning to deny, comes to (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) I've seen indications that it may be a word derived from the trading port of Alexandria, where Egyptian traders' interactions with Europeans gave rise both to the "gypsy" and "gypping" concepts. This is supposedly because at the time Europeans (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Etymological Oddities (was Re: New Brickbay promotion)

(...) I think it was taken fairly seriously--not as a veiled slur but as a matter of public embarrassment resulting in an offer of resignation by the "offending" party: (URL) In any case, I'm offended by your invocation of Hitler in your use of the (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) I imagine some will get similarly upset when I refer to gypsum. If people are willing to go to such preposterous etymological lengths to be offended, I'd like to point out that every time someone "testifies" in court or elswhere, that person (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

Jake McKee wrote in message ... (...) Nope, Brickbay is just a venue. Individual sellers are responsible for paying tax on what they earn that way, and dealing with sales tax issues. However, I would bet money that those who actually do all this are (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Etymological Oddities (was Re: New Brickbay promotion)

(...) Maggie C. (who would be living testament to the notion that the memory is the first to go except that I've always been this way! Oh, wait, I hope I'm not offending anyone with my use of the word TESTAMENT!) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Reply sent privately. Re: New Brickbay promotion

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, William R. Ward writes: <SNIP> Notice is given to all that a reply was sent in private. Paul Sinasohn LUGNET #115 (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) Just to clarify: I was not suggesting that Paul was racist - only that the term had a racist origin and might be offensive to some people. --Bill. (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) Dave, I *know* you're smarter than this. You know well the difference between the semantic load of "gypsum" (if there is one, outside of East Tawas, MI, where it indicates employment ;) ) and that of "gypping" (or "Gypsy"). (...) What's so (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) What if you're overcharged for a low-quality load of gypsum? 8^) (...) And here I was afraid you were trying to sneak in some Nazi propaganda! 8^) Anyway, I wasn't able to type the umlaut so it came through the same! You crystallized it for (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) Don't mind me, but isn't that what a Gypsy is? Josh P.S. Please don't think of me as a racist or something... (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) I don't think you are a racist but I do think you may be misinformed, it is no more accurate to say that a Gypsy is a swindler than it is to say that a Yooper is stupid. ++Lar (a troll... literally! I live below *the* bridge.) (23 years ago, 15-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Brickbay promotion

(...) Oh ya! Dat's fer shur. Yawp. Izzit too late to be buildin' a shanty on dat dere lake dis year? (...) He really does! In terms of "north-up" *and* elevation, if memory serves. But it takes more than that to be a real troll; you need to eat (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)