 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10987
Re: Brickbay idea? (Re: Cypress Trees)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 00:12:48 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Kevin Wilson writes:
David Eaton wrote in message ...
Yeah, my guess is that it wouldn't be overly valuable to the service
itself-- except perhaps if it would make people more "accurately" price
their items which in turn would turn into more actual sales and less things
'hanging around'... But my guess is that more people would use it just to
check up on how much a certain piece was going for, etc...

As a seller, whenever you list a piece for sale the previous lowest, highest
and average sale price are displayed, so sellers have that information
available, but may choose to price their items differently for whatever
reason. Actual current prices that an item is listed for are often different
from the historical min/max/avg due to changes in availability and demand.

I believe that there are a few caveats about the BrickBay Price Guide...

o All prices shown are based on orders booked, not necessarily orders completed.
It is my belief that orders cancelled do not get backed out of the price guide.

o Average reflects the average based on the number of sales booked, not the
quantity of that item sold. One sale at $1.00 and two sales at $0.10 would yield
an average of $0.40, regardless of the quantities involved in each sale. This
was mentioned somewhere earlier, and my own observations seem to confirm it.

o Parts which are not entered with a recognizable part number, will not
contribute correctly to the price guide.

o Some parts have more than one valid part number (example: one p/n for opaque
and one for transparent elements). Also, some parts seem to have part numbers
which reflect the halves of a mold (example: Kaadu's have 2 numbers, 1 for each
half, but are tracked via "kaadu")

o Some parts have no recognizable part number, thus they are less likely to get
tracked.

o There is no tracking of 'new' vs 'used' part sales. They all get lumped
together. A house window with mint-condition glass might have more value than
one which has many play marks / scratches, yet there is only one set of price
guide numbers.

I think there are other issues, which I do not recall at the momment. Remember,
the price guide is merely a rough guide, not the final word. The first person
that lists a part, tends to set the mark, until enough sellers are willing
to diverge from that amount (up or down).

Ray