 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10676
Re: Brickbay Buyer Problem -- Help!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:37:32 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, John York writes:
Thanks for all your help. This has at least made me feel better. I know the set
was sealed when I sent it, so it's frusterating when the buyer tries to
manipulate you. I've offered him several options and he just keeps choosing to
complain about everything I offer.

I suppose I'll have to come up with a term list similar to Larrys to avoid this
problem in the future.

Let me ask you guys one more question...if you were a serious collector and
were anal about the condition your set was in, would you buy it off Brickbay or
Ebay without asking to see "Real" pictures of it first? I always ask for
pictures if the person is using some stock image.

John

John,

     First off I would like to say that I'm sorry to hear about your
problems but I'm kind of glad you brought the topic up for discussion (if
it's been discussed before, I would guess it has, I didn't know about it).
I can somewhat sympathize with a buyer purchasing a set labeled MISB and
being displeased upon receiving one MIB just because I can be anal sometimes
about the condition of the items I purchase.  Of course I read MISB as "Mint
In Sealed Box" and I guess someone selling it could be thinking "Mint In
Sealed Bags" which I would generally use the term MIB "Mint In Box" to
discribe.  Although I know some people use MIB to desribe any set that has
been completely opened and built only once which is still complete, original
and somewhat minty.  I've found through my own experience buying sets on
Ebay from a number of international sellers that MISB more often than not
means the outer seals of the box are open but the parts are still sealed in
their bags.  And I feel I don't have a huge right to complain as long as
everything is accounted for if I didn't ASK FIRST to make sure that our
definition of MISB is the same.  However if you have a store on Brickbay and
use these acronyms I think it is only wise to have it viewable somewhere
EXACTLY what they mean to you the seller so buyers know what they are going
to get.

     Along the same lines as this I need to ask a question of our members
who have a greater knowledge of sets/packaging than I do.  I recently
purchased a mid 80's town set from an Ebay seller in Canada, the item title
included the the word "SEALED" and the description was nothing more than a
piece count of the set.  The transaction proceeded smoothly and upon
receiving my set I find that it has one short strip of regular scotch type
tape holding the cardbord endflaps in place.  It didn't appear to have any
residue of any other adhesive touching those flaps.  The box was labeled
something along the lines of Packaged in Canada by Samsonite.  When I opened
the end flaps I found the set came with a rigid blue plastic tray which held
the pieces.  This tray was wrapped in a somewhat sloppy manner with simple
common serran-wrap (sp?) with a couple of strips of scotch tape holding it
closed.  If the wrap had been the more rigid cellophane type I would not be
so suspicious that the seller had "SEALED" this set himself.  Now I didn't
email the seller prior to the end of the auction to see if by sealed he
meant factory sealed so that's my fault.  Technically he can say, why yes!
It's sealed, I did it myself!  However I feel that this type of practice
would be INTENTIONALLY misleading and I would like to know what other
members of our community think about this.  Besides if someone can tell me
that this is the way Samsonite packaged sets then I've got nothing to
complain about.  But the worse case senario is that you will have to start
saying what you specifically mean when you use the term sealed.

David Peña
Member #457