 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10674
Re: Brickbay Buyer Problem -- Help!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:00:14 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, John York writes:
Hi guys and gals, I just wondered your thoughts on this situation.

I recently sold an item on brickbay that I described as MISB. I bought the set
off of ebay or yahoo a couple months back. It was described the same way. I
sent the set to the buyer and he claims that is has been opened...now I didn't
examine it with a magnifying glass or anything, but to me it was still sealed.
The peices are all accounted for and still sealed in their baggies.

Has anybody had this problem before? What should I do? I'm just like most of
you guys and doing this for fun, so I can't exactly pay him to ship it back to
me! I offered to buy the set back for its full value of $50, but not to
reimburse for shipping. Is this fair? I've also offered him a couple other sets
at 1/2 off prices on my shop...am I being unfair, or is it the buyers
responsibility to be aware of exactly what he or she is buying?

Thank
John

So far in this thread I didn't see anyone mention what MISB stands for.  Is
this a case of just mistaking an acronym?.  I think it bears mentioning that
it is Mint In Sealed Box.  For my two cents there is no misunderstanding
what sealed box means.  Either it has not been opened since it left the
factory or the cardboard is torn or the tape cut, no spyglass required.  I
suppose it could be taken to mean that it was opened but the contents were
replaced in full and the box sealed up again (fortunately the grocery
industry doesn't abide by such an interpretation.)

If I were buying an MISB set (whether from a retailer or an individual) I
would not expect the seller to have any way of definitively knowing that the
contents are accounted for and sealed in their bags.  They were not the last
person in the box, the manufacturer was.  If a seller said that then I would
ask how exactly they know and clarify what they mean by MISB.

It's far too vague here what exactly was or was not sealed (and perhaps what
that means to the people in question) to make much of a judgement.  Though
it certainly sounds like you're taking the right steps to work out an
evident misunderstanding and make it a positive transaction.  There are
those who wouldn't bother.

John