 Marketplace / Auctions / 8895
Re: Reference on eBay user "Toddele"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 01:42:56 GMT

Kevin Salm wrote:
Lately I would much rather deal with sellers from Germany than from the USA
when buying Lego on Ebay.  They have older Lego parts to offer and the service
is better and more professional.

I've got to agree with your thoughts on German sellers (hmm, we've been
bumping heads a few times... :-).
One especially good one to deal with is legofromgermany. She has a
friend in the US who accepts money orders on her behalf (the friend has
also started selling on eBay [mrwoogie56] - something I discovered when
I recognized the seller's address...). I have received airmail packages
from legofromgermany less than 10 days after mailing a money order (and
10 days is what I consider acceptable turnaround for within the US).

I have managed some good deals from Germany. Patience can be a real
virtue, sometimes for example, multiple 7740s will be up. This resulted
in me getting reasonably complete (no track [at the point I got it, who
cared, I've got way more 12v curved track than I'll ever use], no
minifigs [I can live], no platform [ho hum, no reason to pay a premium
for those parts, and I think I've got the signboard already], few
stickers [the only real downer]) for less than $150. I just received a
huge lot of blue era parts (and older - got some tubeless bricks)
including a 740 transformer, 5 blue remote points (two work so far), a
ton of track, a huge pile of bricks, bunches of old windows and more
that I got quite reasonably. I also bought a few things on the side from
the same seller and he tossed in some 4.5v points and cross tracks.

The most uncomfortable part is sending cash, but I have send a fair
number of payments now and no problems. I do send registered for larger
amounts, but I've sent several payments of $10-25 regular airmail with
no problem (I do mail in a 6x9 heavy envelope and tape the money inside
an envelope of cardstock inside that so that it will not be visible or
feelable). A few sellers take Paypal (spielbude is one such seller,
another highly recommended one). A few sellers take personal checks and
don't charge extra to cash them (I'm also willing to pay up to $8 or so
though for check cashing - registered mail costs about that much and a
check is much safer). Western Union is also a good way to send money,
though it's pricey. A few will also take money orders, and I think some
have been able to cash the cheaper USPS domestic money order.

I always e-mail an unknown seller to find out shipping costs and payment
options. Asking shipping costs gives you an idea of whether the seller
actually has experience with overseas selling, and makes sure you
understand if it will be expensive to ship (early on, I hadn't done
that, and discovered one seller charged a bit too much for shipping,
fortunately I had got a good deal on the item). Shipping for smaller
items is pretty cheap. From what I can tell, shipping a "small packet"
(which from Germany can be fairly big) from Europe is considerably
cheaper than sending the same amount of stuff to Europe.

Babelfish or other translators are a godsend. They will let you get an
idea of what the seller is offering, and translate the occasional e-mail
correspondence which is not in English.

Oh, another good thing for those of us into trains... German eBay has a
"LEGO eisenbahn" section.

Here's the link to the LEGO category:

http://listings.ebay.de/aw/plistings/list/all/category13315/index.html

So, learn a little German and discover where I've been shopping lately

Frank