 Marketplace / Auctions / 2690
  FA(eBay): blue hoppers

well, all my blue hoppers that weren't yet sold got deleted. eBay decided that the listing had "gratuitous comments".. no doubt fallout from the McD box listing which also got deleted. So I deleted the comments about other listings and relisted. I'm (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

In the future you should use www.brickshelf.com instead of www.kl.net for any instruction links. KL (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

Thanks... how much time do I have before kl.net goes stale? I will fix this in every listing I can find. (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) But in fact you could have. All you had to do was call them. 104 hoppers that I ordered and thought were to be allocated to me were sold to other people by Paul with my awareness and approval. You know what? there are deals all the time and (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <38017328.C46A6B56@v...er.net>... (...) It's too bad I couldn't have ordered one at a normal price from Busy Bee. Would have been nice for my son's birthday. All I would have wanted was one..... Eric (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

It did a few days ago. Originally I said that it would last a month, and it did. KL (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) Did ebay refund the listing fees to you? (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) Oh, I realize this! I don't mind that you or someone else makes money on any purchase. Anything that I can find cheap and do not want, I like to make a few dollars to support my habit (and my son's growing habit). I also try to notify people (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) Yes, they did, and the gallery fees as well. They called it a courtesy credit so one could read between the lines that there is an implication that they were not obligated to do so. Their policy is vague in this area. (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) Let's take this up in theory but I feel there is a significant difference in kind, not just degree, between: - claiming that something is scarce/rare when in fact it is not, and selling it for well over what anyone who wants it can get it for. (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

I'm sure we'll hear the same about the 4544s at S@H - I just bought out the last of them this morning. Then again, that was only 6 of them. (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  S@H-4544 (Was:Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers)

Tom, Well, don't worry too much, I bought 2 of them a few weeks ago, because it is one of the sets I always wanted, but never bought until now! People who wanted to buy it had plenty of chances, and now it is gone. I bought it simply because someone (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) Where a finite supply of the set exists. Buying a considerable proportion of that item makes them rarer, and therefore forces the price up. So buy making a the "large purchase" the market value of the item is increased. I suppose the word (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) Where a finite supply of the set exists. Buying a considerable proportion of that item makes them rarer, and therefore forces the price up. So buy making a the "large purchase" the market value of the item is increased. I suppose the word (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) Right. I set the starting price where I do because that's the minimum I'll take to walk up buyers. If they go unbid, they go unbid, so the market still has a chance to speak to me (and further, I get punished because I have to pay the listing (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) No. 30 is the price at which I keep them. There is hysteresis here. The price I pay for one and the price I would sell one for differ. In other words, if anyone has blue hoppers they don't want and want to sell them to me, 30 is the very MOST (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

So does that mean that it would be worth it for you to just sell me one or two of them for $30 each (that way you'd get even more than you'd get on ebay--of course I know they are going for more than that..but they are worth 30 dollars to you) (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

So you don't mind auctioning them off at 30, but you won't sell them for 30? (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) Sounds to me like he doesn't mind risking that they only go for 30. But he's willing to wait and see if they go higher, and is probably pretty sure they will. That's not too hard to understand, is it? (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

I did assume that it was for the possibility that he could make more than 30. However, he said that if I bid 30, I may well not get outbid, so I was curious. (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) curious. Fair question. OK, to be explicit. At this time I am not accepting sales at 30 on a "first come first served" basis, (that is what it would turn into). I am releasing hoppers one or two at a time to the various venues. If and when (...) (25 years ago, 12-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

Prior to Busy Bee finding a stash of hoppers, this set mib went for $60 to $80 US. When this little hiccup in supply gets absorbed by rtlers, the price will again creep back up to this level. So if you want one you had better make Larry a decent (...) (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

The problem with that is that what Larry sees as decent and what I see as decent are two different things. Which is fine by me. I came out of the dark ages a little less than a year ago and have gotten pretty big into trains since (something I (...) (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) When I got a supply of them from Shop@Home, I believe they were selling them at 50% off their regular price, and I paid $16.50 for them. I looked through my old catalogs, but I couldn't find the Hopper Car in any of them, so I can't confirm (...) (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

I agree that there are sets that I would pay a little more for (the hopper car is one of them), but I have pretty limited resources and am trying to get other stuff too. That's why I am trying to be very strict with my rule. In a couple years, when (...) (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) And how many 1x2 tilting hinge tops would I have to supply for an even swap? Chris (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) 500 (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

I certainly understand and sympathise with your budget constraints. A thing is worth, to you, what you are willing to pay, or sell it for(1). To you, the hopper is not worth more than 30. That's not what the market thinks, but ultimately, to you, (...) (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) I couldn't find the hopper car in any of my old catalogs either but seeing as the twin tank transporter listed at $23, I would think the blue hopper was more like $25 or $30 originally. (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

In lugnet.market.auction, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> (...) <snip> Larry, how many of each of your "wnated" parts, such as 4274 1/2 pins and 3937/3938 hinges and 4213/4315 hinge sets, would you require in trade for a 4536. This is a serious (...) (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

(...) 50 dollars worth at current market values (say AucZILLA or other common venues). That's a serious answer. Make me an offer. (25 years ago, 13-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: FA(eBay): blue hoppers

The LUGNet page has it at $14.95 (URL) today's money that is about $22.08 The much used $0.10 per part guide equates to $16.40. All of which appear low to me Scott A Paul Foster wrote in message <3804D900.CB698E2D@e...pc.com>... (...) spend (...) (...) (25 years ago, 14-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)