 Marketplace / Auctions / 220
Re: eBay lego sniping? Why it is a problem?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 18:15:28 GMT

Well if you grant that psychology is a legitimate reason to cater to bidders
(and if catered to, I think most would agree, the seller would get more money
by getting people to inch up a bit from what they thought their max was) then
fixed end time auctions foil that behaviour.(1)

What really got me boiled on this one was that there was NO WAY for me to
rearrange my life, realistically, this time. I am willing to stay up to weird
hours of the morning, but I am not willing to blow off the CIO and CFO of a
client. That's what I would have had to do, duck out of a very crucial meeting
to go watch the final few minutes.

LEGO is a large part of my life, I guess, but I still gotta eat. CTP is about
service to the client. That has to come before my hobby.

1 - fixed end time auctions are best for eBay (2). Most would agree that there
is a class of sellers, and a class of buyers that they are not best for.

2 - if eBay system capacity is "more important" than the perception of a
segment of eBay customers.

Unrelated note: eBay has started advertising in TRAINS magazine.

++Lar