 Marketplace / Auctions / 219
Re: Auction concerns...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 13:45:35 GMT

Pawel wrote in message ...

1)  The length of the Auction - should the end date be stated beforehand, • or
should there be just some date out there which isn't set?  In the second • case,
the second date would be announced X number of days before the bidding
advances.

Well, in the last auction I ran, I had a set ending date, and had a system
worked out where the bidding would automatically advance every 24 hours the
last 3 days so that everything would be at sold status at my stated end.  It
seemed to work pretty well.  Of course I had forseen a HUGE flurry of bids
the last day, so I made it a sunday.

2)  The Buyout bid - should it even be an option?  Is it fair?  Should the • price
be so high, that only the person who MUST have that item (for whatever • reason)
would use it?  In my 1st Auction, more items were bought out then sold • after
their regular process...

I had mine set up so that if somebody wanted to buy-out, it would have to be
higher than the combined bids, and would stand for 3 days (going 1x 2x 3x),
if the bids I recieved during that time on the individual items increased to
more than the buyout bid, then I considered the person as "outbid", and the
bidding would drop back to individual bidding.

3)  My messups - as much as I try to limit them, if I do mess up for • whatever
reason, how should this be handled?  As rare as this will be, I want to • have an
idea what should be done if in fact this happens.  Here is the case to • consider:
Joe has a bid of $10 on 4 2x2 blue bricks
I notice that I only have 3 of them... and they are red.
I think the thing to do here is to e-mail Joe and give him the option of • keeping
his bid or removing it... Any comments on an alternative if there is one?

That sounds like a fair way to deal with it to me.  Most bidders (I'm
drawing on *MY* experinces here) are adult enough to understand that the
person running the auction is a human being and capable of making mistakes.
Just give them a chance to back out of a bid, or maybe reduce the bid if
they still want the item.

4)  Does the online webpage format for the auction even work well?  I think • I
have received e-mails asking why I have not put someone's bid on, and I • think
it's the fact that some e-mails get lost... I think the key to this is a • longer
auction...

I recieved many emails from my bidders about the webpage I put up and
culling out all of the "what was that address again?" ones, they really
liked having instant access to the current bidding status.  Just be SURE to
keep it updated and let the bidders know that WHEN it is updated it IS
updated, and there are no more new bids in at that time.  What I did was
highlight the new bids in blue, the stuff going once in green, twice in
yellow, and sold in red.  That way everyone could just scan down the page
and pick out what was what.

Just my 2k worth!
Kevin Bane