 Marketplace / Auctions / 212
211  |  213
Subject:
Auction concerns...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 14:50:11 GMT

As my first auction is coming to a close, I have received some feedback from the
people that participated, which led me to be concerned about a few things...
Hopefully this will lead to more feedback, which in turn will make the auctions
a lot better.  Here are the issues of the top of my head:

1)  The length of the Auction - should the end date be stated beforehand, or
should there be just some date out there which isn't set?  In the second case,
the second date would be announced X number of days before the bidding advances.

2)  The Buyout bid - should it even be an option?  Is it fair?  Should the price
be so high, that only the person who MUST have that item (for whatever reason)
would use it?  In my 1st Auction, more items were bought out then sold after
their regular process...

3)  My messups - as much as I try to limit them, if I do mess up for whatever
reason, how should this be handled?  As rare as this will be, I want to have an
idea what should be done if in fact this happens.  Here is the case to consider:
Joe has a bid of $10 on 4 2x2 blue bricks
I notice that I only have 3 of them... and they are red.
I think the thing to do here is to e-mail Joe and give him the option of keeping
his bid or removing it... Any comments on an alternative if there is one?

4)  Does the online webpage format for the auction even work well?  I think I
have received e-mails asking why I have not put someone's bid on, and I think
it's the fact that some e-mails get lost... I think the key to this is a longer
auction...

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Pawel