 Marketplace / Auctions / 211
Re: eBay lego sniping? Why it is a problem?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:56:09 GMT

Adam Yulish wrote in message <3638F22C.52FB3CAB@ee.net>...
I'm both a seller and buyer of lego stuff on eBay, as I clear out some
sets to make way for others. I fail to understand why people get upset
over "sniping". If there is something I want on eBay, I put in the
maximum amount I'm willing to pay for it. If I get it, I'm thrilled. If
I don't get it, I didn't overspend. Just because I bid $200 for
something and the final price ends at $205 does not mean that the last
bidder put in a price of $205. They could have put in a price of $240,
which would have still resulted in the final price of $205. If someone
beats my maximum bid, how can I be upset unless it really wasn't what I
was willing to pay?

Short answer: human psychology.

Long answer: check the dejanews files (see my sig).

Medium answer: In a lot of ways it is the principle of the thing.  Someone
hides until the last minute and then out-bids you.  At the least it's rude,
since if you're going to lose you'd rather have the guy bid early so you
don't start thinking you might win it.  But it really ticks people off
because their "max bid" wasn't really their max, and they might have bid
more.  And odds are that the sniper did only put in $205, right after
inching up behind you.

Jesse

Jesse The Jolly Jingoist
Looking for answers?