 Marketplace / Auctions / 215
Re: eBay lego sniping? Why it is a problem?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:20:38 GMT

don't start thinking you might win it.  But it really ticks people off
because their "max bid" wasn't really their max, and they might have bid

I think that's the key here. A post I found via the Deja news link you
provided suggested that every time a bid is put in during the last five
minutes of an auction, to extend the auction back to five minutes
remaining. This is how FirstAuction works, and I think it is effective,
but it would only benefit the seller; the buyer would still have to face
the key issue of how much he/she is really willing to pay.

And they still have to be there at the end.  This is another big issue other
people have mentioned, that they don't want to arrange their lives around
eBay.  The only option to fixing THAT particular problem is changing eBay
to allow much longer rebid opportunities, like the 1,2,Sold auctions here.
I'd be curious to see, though, how many people would actually use that system
(sellers that is).  One of the benefits to sellers of a fixed time auction
is the fact that it is a fixed time auction.  When I put something on eBay,
I know EXACTLY when it will end.  If I'm going on vaction in two weeks and
I put something on eBay today, I know I can (generally) finish the transaction
before I leave.  If we change it to an open-ended auction, who knows when it
will end.  Also, open-ended auctions would probably require eBay to increase
server capacity since there would be many more auctions running at any given
time than there are now.

Rob

|  Rob Farver - rfarver@rcn.com             |
http://www.farver.com/lego/              |