 Marketplace / Auctions / 213
Re: eBay lego sniping? Why it is a problem?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:37:56 GMT

which would have still resulted in the final price of $205. If someone
beats my maximum bid, how can I be upset unless it really wasn't what I
was willing to pay?

Short answer: human psychology.

I was afraid that might be it. :)

Long answer: check the dejanews files (see my sig).

Thanks for the link; a search on "eBay sniping" pretty much brought up
both sides of the issue.

don't start thinking you might win it.  But it really ticks people off
because their "max bid" wasn't really their max, and they might have bid

I think that's the key here. A post I found via the Deja news link you
provided suggested that every time a bid is put in during the last five
minutes of an auction, to extend the auction back to five minutes
remaining. This is how FirstAuction works, and I think it is effective,
but it would only benefit the seller; the buyer would still have to face
the key issue of how much he/she is really willing to pay.

Adam

bwappo@ee.net