 Marketplace / Auctions / 1299
    Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work? —James Brown
   (...) I don't know about other people, but I tend to go into an auction (more often a parts auction than an auction server, but the principle still applies) with two things. A maximum budget, and a list of things I want. so if I'm looking at A and (...) (25 years ago, 21-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work? —Todd Lehman
     (...) That makes perfect sense, yes! And you can always scrounge together another $.50 or $1.00 if you really need to at the last moment. This is why it's so important to have a re-review period. There are two things that hurt the most in auctions: (...) (25 years ago, 21-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work? —Steve Bliss
   (...) It also helps to be able to send messages to other bidders. A polite "there is no way o God's green Earth you are getting XXXXXX away from me" goes a long way. I've heard of less-polite messages, but I really wouldn't know about those. (...) (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work? —Paul Foster
     (...) Sanjay's recent Maersk Truck auction is another good example. One early bidder bid $50 when the rest of the trucks were at $35. The $50 truck sold early and the rest ended up going for more than $50. (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work? —Tom Stangl
   Messages also help when a bidder is trying to bid on ALL lots of a piece, you only want ONE, and after the bids get ridiculously high, you find out it's because he needs "all the lots minus X pieces from the last lot", you only need X or less, so (...) (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work? —David Zorn
      Tom Stangl wrote in message <371FAADA.E4CD7369@n...pe.com>... :Messages also help when a bidder is trying to bid on ALL lots of a piece, you only :want ONE, and after the bids get ridiculously high, you find out it's because he :needs "all the lots (...) (25 years ago, 23-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work? —Steve Bliss
     (...) That's not sniping, that's just bidding. Arrangements are nice, but they have to run with the acknowledgement that other people might bid on the lots in question. It still sucks to be you in that case. Steve "You keep using that word. I do not (...) (25 years ago, 23-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work? —Mike Stanley
     (...) I have to admit that I have jumped into bidding when items his G2 before, but I never thought of it as sniping. Many times there are lots that I am interested in, but don't really have the time or the inclination to deal with the nickel and (...) (25 years ago, 25-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work? —Tom Stangl
   No, I just talking about the case where someone comes in after the bids have settled for a while, and bids on them at G2. You outbid them, they wait for G2, and bid again. You outbid them, they wait for G2 (lather, rinse, repeat)..... Get the idea? (...) (25 years ago, 25-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)