 Marketplace / Appraisal / 84
Re: How to get appraisals?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 07:48:24 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <38D44E45.425D67B@novera.com>...
That's the big question for me. I have enough stuff that I am exposed,
insurance wise. As I've related in other groups, I can get coverage if I
can get an appraisal as to value. I don't want to construct it myself,
too much work. Rather pay someone for an appraisal that will stand up to
scrutiny. (and be fair and correct, what I want is an estimate of
replacement cost)

Asked before, I'll ask again, anyone actually got an appraiser to give
them an appraisal for their collection?

Appraisals for Lego collections would be based on so many factors, I am not
sure how accurate any single appraisal effort could be.  Age of sets and
pieces, overall condition of elements, completeness of sets piecewise,
condition and existence of boxes and instructions, personal preferences by
individual set, genre, etc, general rarity of items  -- just off the top of
my head.

I think that one big component of Lego collection appraisals should be the
value of each item by the owner/collector.  Certainly there are some items
that individual collectors prize more than others would.  I do not know
enough about appraisals to know if that would be a big factor, but I think
it should be.

If I were to have my collection (almost 800 sets dating from 1975)
appraised, I would like the opportunity to place a value on each complete
Lego set that I own and then a composite value on all of the additional
bricks and elements, too.  This value would supplement any determined by a
professional appraiser.

As for insurance, I came across this following item many months ago.  I have
not done any further investigating.  Take a look:

http://www.legoweb.com/insurance.htm

    Kevin Salm
    ....The biggest fan of the Gray Lego brick....
another Lego enthusiast's web site coming soon.....