 Marketplace / Appraisal / 13
Re: How to get appraisals?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 21:15:18 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <larryp@novera.com> wrote in message
news:38D44E45.425D67B@novera.com...
That's the big question for me. I have enough stuff that I am exposed,
insurance wise. As I've related in other groups, I can get coverage if I
can get an appraisal as to value. I don't want to construct it myself,
too much work. Rather pay someone for an appraisal that will stand up to
scrutiny. (and be fair and correct, what I want is an estimate of
replacement cost)

In the UK, the system is different. I select the value of a item. The
insurance company quotes a premium on this basis. If the insured item is
lost, then is time to get the valuation from the insurance company. This
means two things:

1. If I over value the item, I pay an extra insurance premium for nothing.
2. If I undervalue the item, I'm not fully covered.

If I'm unhappy with their valuation, I can dispute it.

The key to the system is to have photograph of valuables.

Scott A

Scott A