 Local / United States / Ohio / Columbus / 51
Re: Mid Ohio LEGO Fest '99?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh.col
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 22:04:24 GMT

Carolyn Cheney writes:

I like the idea of a LEGOfest, and almost certainly would go.  I'd also
like to throw out a few ideas  for  more discusion, but I won't have
time for a week or so.  One thing no one has mentioned is a play area.
I don't think you can have a LEGOfest advertised to the general public
and not have a play area.  The LEGO for this area has to come from
somewhere, and most of us will not want to volunteer our own collections.
Any ideas?

Well, one idea is to have a LEGO rep supply the LEGO for a play area.
I've been to several stores here in Columbus where they have the LEGO
balloon display (where you guess how many LEGO elements make up the
display, the closest one wins a prize)  with a small play area off to
the side -- basically it's a 4' x 4' table with baseplates on top &
a bucket in the middle that holds the elements.  I think the LEGO rep
supplies the play area along with the display.  So, it wouldn't be too
far of a stretch to ask them to supply a similar type of play area.

The second idea is to have people send in a $5-10 LEGO set as their
registration/table fee.  The set would go towards the play area for the
kids.  After the LEGOfest, it can be kept in a box & used at the next
LEGOfest & continue to be added to -- it could potentially be one big
play area after a few years.  :)  Or on a similar vein of thinking,
take some of the pre-register money & put it towards buying a few larger
sets for a play area.

Speaking of large sets, Target on Sawmill Rd. has about 50 of the small
cyber slam #8245 [Robot's Revenge] sets for about $13, normally I think
it goes for $30 & about 20 of the large Adventurer set #5988 [Pharaoh's
Forbidden Ruins] normally $80, now $50... at least last time I checked.

The third option would be just to take donations, either before or
at the door... I think I've got a few pink elements I wouldn't mind
getting rid of.  :)  We could potentially have a huge play area of just
Timmy's.

--Mike.