 Local / United States / Ohio / Columbus / 45
44  |  46
Subject:
Mid Ohio LEGO Fest '99?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh.col
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 05:17:36 GMT

Talking with some friends, we thought it would be a good idea to
rent out a community center or a church for part of a weekend
& do a LEGO Fest, where people would display their own creations,
allow us to all meet up, but more importantly to buy/sell/trade
LEGO.  :)

Now please forgive me for the rest of this post.  It will pretty
much be a stream of consciousness.  Nothing is really set in
stone, except for maybe the date.  The rest are some ideas
we threw out in an little get together we had & some ideas I've
been thinking about.  The bottom line is, I'm looking to know
who would be interested (once some of the details are a little
more worked out, I'll announce something to general LUGNET
& to RTL), for feedback, and for local volunteers.

THE BEEF:

We thought we'd rent a place big enough to hold about 30-50
people to start with.  If we use the church, in the meeting hall,
they have chairs, tables, & a kitchen.  The tables we can use
for displays & for people who want to set up "booth" for which
to sell/trade LEGO from -- for those who want a "booth" we might
charge a small rental fee to help fund the next LEGO Fest.

We were thinking about having the local youth group run like
a concession stand in the kitchen.  Everyone is welcome to
bring their own food (or even order in) and use the kitchen, but
this will provide snacks & drinks without having everyone bring
food.  The proceeds from the concession stand can go towards
funding youth group activities -- they of course will be responsible
for everything, so they can earn monies, we can just enjoy LEGO.

I'd personally like to invite a local (or regional) LEGO rep to the
Fest, for them to a) have an opportunity to sell LEGO if they
like b) to observe local LEGO enthusiasm c) to participate in the
fun.

The Fest would be open to everyone.  Kids under 14 would get in
free with paying adult.  I'm thinking about leaving flyers at local
toy stores & comic shops, to generate more interest in
non-internet LEGO enthusiast.  Entrance fee would be like $3-5...
This is to help pay for renting the building & pay for prizes;
extra goes towards the next Fest.

We would allow those who have booths to set up the day before if
they like -- Friday night, say between 2pm - 6pm.  At about 6pm,
we can all go to Roosters up the street, drink beer (or coke),
eat buffalo wings, & talk LEGO till everyone is tired.  Then
hold the Fest from 8am - 6pm on Saturday.

If we have a lot of non-Ohio interest, we will have to help people
find places to stay, not necessarily book them in the hotel.

Have building contest for those 18 & younger with prizes (LEGO
of course!)  Award prizes to those for their creations (any
age group) based on certain criteria (ie best use of specialized
pieces, nicest town building, most fragile creation, ugliest looking
creation, etc. -- just some fun categories for starters).

Everyone who is bringing a creation will have to register it (ie.
it's size, to make sure we have enough room to display them all).

Everyone is responsible for their own creation, so if they include
"rare" LEGO pieces, no one is responsible for parts being stolen --
I'd hate for someone to include a black falcon in their creation,
those suckers are hard enough to come by, to accidentally loose it
or have it stolen.  But just in case, we might need volunteers
to "police" display tables from young kids from wanting to
touch the displays... we can even do this in shifts...

An aside:  There have been talk about forming a local LEGO club.
There has been talk about that this Fest would be sponsored by this
club.  We can have other sponsor the club as well, I guess.  ...We
could even try to have the regional LEGO sales rep donate the
prizes...

THE SKINNY:

The date we've kind of settled on is the 3rd weekend in July.  Unless
there a better date or reasons why it shouldn't be on this date, this
can be our target date.

Comments?  Suggestions?  Volunteers?  Feedback?  Flames?
Public ridicule?

-- Mike.
Michael Huffman                              mhuffman@mindspring.com
http://www.mindspring.com/~mhuffman/