Re: making train cars for the show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:04:17 GMT

Cary Clark wrote:

Mike Walsh recently requested that LEGO make the center car available for
the Metroliner as a separately orderable item
(http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=3471) and that got me thinking: can a
Metroliner be easily converted into three center cars? I gave it a go and
found out that with the exception of the sink, it was fairly easy to make
six center cars out of two 10001s and a few odd parts.

The sink is the only hitch. The grey faucet with white base is rare; I also
don't have the printed 2x2 white tile (although several Brickbay stores have
this tile available). I changed the design of the sink a bit.

I admit that this is still an expensive way to make a longer Metroliner, and
two out of three cars have a train-show cheat: the printed doors are only on
one side. I don't think this will be terribly noticable, but maybe I'll
change my mind once I see it on the NCLTC layout.

I suspect we may wind up with a much too big Metroliner... I should wind
up with a 6-8 car train. I may try and do some train building this
weekend. I need to build all my 7740 cars (I hope I have enough black
6x28 train plates, I may have to order some more car kits). At least one
of my 4 Club Cars will be sacrificed for a 7740 style Club Car. Of
course that will provide some more doors for Metroliner cars (in
addition to the original Metroliner doors I have).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com