Re: Interim Trip Report - Part 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:17:12 GMT

Back on line from over the weekend...

Friday evening I drove down to Gilroy to visit the outlets. I hit some
traffic going down, but it wasn't too bad since it is due to the road
narrowing just south of Bernal Road (the main drag between my hotel and
work). Being so close to the narrowing meant not too much waiting. I
didn't score anything at KB. All they had was some Duplo and maybe some
Cyberslammers. They did have a huge pile of unpacked shipping boxes, but
the only LEGO I saw was 8202, but there might have been more burried.

A quick visit to Wal-Mart scored not much (still no 2001 LEGO), though I
did pick up one of those Basic lapdesks with the Timmy and green
wizard's hat (to get some more basic bricks). The next stop was a K-Mart
where I didn't find anything. I had decided I wanted some more A-Wings
for more red parts and some canopies. The next stop was Target, where I
picked up 4 A-Wings for $10.83 (and was glad I didn't find them at
K-Mart since that's cheaper than the BOGO 50% sale).

Saturday, I headed off to Fremont for the Baylug meeting. On the way I
dropped into Frye's (a huge electronics etc. store which grew out of a
family grocery store buisiness). The only thing which intrigued me there
was $60 Robotics Discovery Sets, but I decided I didn't need another
Scout, so passed on those.

I arrived at the Fremont library just as folks were starting to gather,
waiting for them to open. I didn't have any trouble picking the group
out since Dan Velasco was amongst the folks waiting. After opening the
room divider, people started setting things up on tables. A simple train
loop with 2 passing sidings was set up and several folks displayed LEGO
sets and MOCs. I put my space ship with another space display.

About this time, Dan claimed a section of the floor with some blankets
and dumped out piles of LEGO which he sells for $8 per pound. He has
already picked through pretty well, as had a few of the Bayluggers, but
there were still some finds to be had. I picked up about half a pound,
which included a plain grey classic castle armor piece, and a few other
goodies. Dan also sells minifigs for 50 cents each, and also had some
bagged parts. He had set aside the Fabuland stuff I had seen the other
night so I made him an offer on that. I also picked up a box of Space
Police 2 for $10.

Bunches of other folks were selling stuff also. I bought some nice older
parts and 2 50x50 original road plates from Paul Gyugyi. I bought a
bunch of sets from Mark Benz, including some more Ice Planet. I also
picked up some Kabaya sets from ? (oops - the carbon copy of the check
got stuck to the check). I also bought pieces from another person who I
paid cash (sorry - with so many names, and my wonderful name memory, I'm
just drawing blanks here).

The person who had the Kabaya sets also had several fan made kits
(Larry's PCC Street Car, Mike Walsh's covered gondola and caboose, Dan
Siskind's tavern, and someone's tank. The tank was nicely boxed in a box
which had been spray painted olive green and then the kit name was
stenciled on in yellow).

Other displays included a huge church, a huge crane (the boom was about
6' long, it is a little impure, with non-LEGO string, a couple metal
pulleys, a steel ball bearing turntable, and I think aslo some clone
bricks in the turn table assembly [several other turntables were
displayed which had clone bricks - presumably to avoid mangling and
gluing LEGO bricks]). I got to see the Spamcake diner in person.

On the way home, I poked into another Wal-Mart (Milpitas - nothing),
dropped back into Frye's (my morning visit had been hurried). For
dinner, I ate at the Mandarin Gormet in San Jose. After dinner, I
visited the Oakwood mall (KB Toys didn't have anything), and then found
a TRU (where as I was trying to decide what to buy, I wanted to do some
more playing with the Mars sets, I overheard someone talking about
Lugnet so introduced myself - eventually I bought all of the Mars sets
featuring the Martians), then on to K-Mart (where I bought 2 AATs and a
couple other sets for more tan parts - but passed on 2 UCS Tie Fighters
since I was starting to get concerned with getting this all home [I'm
probably going to buy a big plastic tub and pack it well and tape the
heck out of it to check it]).

Sunday was mostly dedicated to non-LEGO (though I did buy $10 of gas at
the Shell station across the street and picked up some more Shell sets
[including 3 more Ferraris, one for a gift for a needy child - our
church puts up a tree with gifts needy kids have asked for, so I looked
for one which indicated a LEGO set was desired - I'll probably add a
card to it mentioning that it came from an AFOL]). After tanking up, I
headed over the mountains to Santa Cruz. My plan was to go down to the
beach, see a bit of Santa Cruz, and ride the Roaring Camps and Big Trees
Railroad (a tourist train in a redwood forest). The day turned out to be
quite nice. On the beach, I picked up some neat rocks with holes in them
(I think clams start them, then the water and sand enlarge them). I also
took the controls of a kite for a short while (someone was just starting
to learn and on my way down the beach, he was just getting it launched,
on the way back, he had it up in th air and was doing quite well). I
wandered about downtown Santa Cruz looking at all the interesting shops
and caught lunch at a pleasant sandwich and coffee shop which had
outdoor seating, with a nice view to a small plaza across the street
where someone was giving waltzing lessons.

When I got home Sunday night, I had leftover chinese food for dinner
(having a kitchen is a blessing for such a long stay) and then settled
down to build. I built a Martian walker deal, but I'm going to have to
re-work it. The weight is too much for the click hinge legs.

If I get my camera software installed here, I may upload some pictures.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com