Subject:
Interim Trip Report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:41:07 GMT

I thought I'd report on my trip so far.

The trip got off with a bad omen. The plane we were supposed to fly had
mechanical problems, but they found another plane and got us going onlyh
a few minutes late. The plane change resulted in us flying non-stop to
San Jose via Kansas City because the new plane couldn't cary enough gas.
This resulted in us being an hour and a half late. The woman behind me
got into a verbal struggle with the crew because she needed to be
drinking water and hand't brought any of her own. The flight attendants
gave her a bottle of water, but were adamant about taking it away from
her during take-off because it was a "service item." Of course, had she
brought her own, there would have been no problem. I also heard one I've
never heard before - they required the window blinds to be up during
take-off and landing.

After arriving in San Jose late, I then got to Hertz where there was an
hour and half to two hour wait for a car. Seems like in two years they
have gone from 800 rentals per day to close to 3000, and to boot, they
had returned many of their cars because of seasonal volume predictions.

After that, I got a little messed up leaving the airport (in part
because I picked up the car at their service lot, so there weren't good
signs). Eventually, I found a gas station where someone was sufficiently
knowledgeable about the area to get me back on track.

The Mariot Residence Inn only had 2 bedroom suites available, so I
settled into one of those for the first two nights. Tuesday morning I
got going decently early so that I would have a half hour or so to get
to work by 9:00ish when the person I would be working with got in.
Little did I realize that I had a 5-10 minute drive. Fortunately, the
excess time was mostly filled struggling with a badge which didn't work
(they had got me badge access). I still can't get in the front gate, but
I can get in the front door and into some labs. Go figure...

On the LEGO front, I had taken a tub and filled it with one of each
Shell set, one of each chrome castle HTO sets, a Light Sabre Duel (I had
picked up some of these cheap at Walmart), a 735 Basic set, and I think
one more set, plus the bag of red 1x10 plates I bought at lunch from
Cary Clark.

I ended up sorting parts on Wednesday night.

Last night I payed Dan Velasco (aka uncledan on eBay). I brought home
$60 worth of good stuff (Sheree - I've got some more Fabuland parts for
you - also, you should watch Dan's eBay auctions, he'll be putting up
some Fabuland that I couldn't talk him out of [a red vacuum cleaner, a
fire truck ladder, a couple other parts and some figures]). Dan's stuff
was impressive. He has a couple people who supply him with big boxes of
used LEGO, which he then sorts through and breaks into lots for sale on
eBay, and some is also sold straight to Bayluggers. He definitely is
just the sort of person I suspected from his eBay sales, and I can
absolutely reccomend him as someone to buy used LEGO from.

When I got back to my hotel (after stopping in a Walmart on the way back
and not finding any 2001 LEGO), I sat down to do some building. I had
already decided to build a space ship - yes, a space ship, having only 2
small space related sets. I'll be taking pictures over the weekend, and
hopefully can upload some on Monday. Most of the parts came from Shell
sets, but some of the red came from 735. I also used 2 8x8 lattice
plates bought from Dan. I'm pretty pleased with the ship, but may pick
up a few more Shell sets tonight to fix it up a little more. I may pick
up one of the Walmart value packs which has the Insectoid set to get
some castle pieces to build some sort of castle creation (after all,
I've got plenty of castle minifigs with me).

Tonight, I may drive down to Gilroy and check out a KB Outlet there, and
tomorrow I will be attending the Baylug meeting.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com