 Local / United States / Missouri / 81
Re: Gats in St. Louis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mo
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 00:57:54 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.mo, Levering A. Reynolds writes:
  Well, we'll need to figure that out.  I am good with the idea of starting
over, I don't have many Trains built right now.  I would like to buy a few
of the new set and make an impressive passenger liner with it.  I think it
will be easier in 6 wide.  I guess we could just use a Metroliner or two put
together for a great passenger train, I haven't really seen many better
looking MOCs than it.  Then I could spend the money I was planning to buy
new Trains with on some older Town stuff.  I am hoping the layout will have
other city type attractions besides the trains.  I think a 6542 Launch and
Load would be a good thing to put on the layout, again as is, but you guys
might be more creative than me.  (I hope)  I haven't done much dabbling with
Town, I am primarily a Castle builder.  I have done a little with Trains,
but as stated, its nothing great.

     Grin.  I switched to town from castle as well.  I figured I could only
build so many castles.  And I have always liked trains.  I agree that scaling
the whole thing to 8 wide trains (and therefore, 6 wide cars, ect) will involve
a lot more work, I think we could mix and match them, to be honest.  As long as
the layout clearances are built to a 8 wide standard, we can do either.  It
will not really matter on the height (sp?) of anything, we just need to figure
out what we want the overall clearances to be (i.e., a 8 wide, 40 stud long, 12
high, on standard bogieplates), or something.  I don't know if buying older
town stuff is the answer or not, I kind of personally think even the older town
stuff (the vast majority of it) just dosn't cut the mustard.  (but I have high
standards  :)   )

I will dig up the schedule, and find us a date to shoot towards, if we are
decided that it will be a good place to show off our stuff.  I will dig
around Postnet, too, to see if any other summer events sound more
appropriate.  Do you have any other suggestions where to look for such
events?

     Unfortunately, no.  Later, if the other AFOL's in other nearby areas
(KC,KY,whatever) want in on this, we could easily do shows there as well.  It
dosn't help us to start with, but its a goal to reach for.

  I understand what you are saying.  Perhaps 25 is too high.  Maybe that
would be a good height for hilly areas.  It would be more economical to have
less brick support, but we want it to be strong.  How many of those modules
would you guess we'll need?  How big of an area are you envisioning?  3'x6'?
4'x8'?  10'x10' with areas for us in the middle?!  I am thinking we can
start small, and hopefully as we find more members we can really expand.  I
am still aiming to do the big NMRA show next year, but we'll need more
people for something that scale?  Right?

     I really don't know!  With a module based look at it, it really wouldn't
matter, in a way.  As long as enough of the modules have a standard (?)
interface (?) so we can mix and match modules, it would be easy to make the
layout whatever size we would want.

     As far as the height of the town goes, whatever you guys want to go with.
We could lower the overall  'baseline' to something like 18 or 20, then go
up/down with the mountain/valley area, and leave the town at 20ish or so.  I
just picked 25 since it was a good even number.  I'm not biased toward
anything.

  Can you post the link for the modules?  I can't locate it.

     Ugh.  Let me give it a try here.  I was looking at the guys up in
Minnesota.  http://63.74.171.239/gallery_main.asp  Sorry its not a hyperlink, I
still havn't figured out how to cut and paste those yet.

I was thinking 10 x 10 to start or the equivalent Lego scale.

     If we go on a module-based standard for the layout, it would just be a
matter of putting the modules together.  I suggest a module 'standard' of two
large grey baseplates wide (96 studs total, 30" approx), by eight long (384
studs total, 120" or 10ft approx).  I don't know how we want to put it all
together, most likely we need to get together to go over the details in person.

  I put in a little about that above.  I think a harbor would be fantastic,
whether MOC or not.  I think lots of train type stuff is good, too,
depending on what we can put together.  A few town (not recent Lego style,
mind you, except perhaps McDs) buildings are needed, and I have enough for a
nice race track, if wanted.

-<snip>-

     I really don't have too much interest in building the harbor.  Its all
yours :)  (Or whomever wanted it! )  I was planning on building a submarine
fabrication plant.  Perhaps motorize it a bit and mess around with a RCX or two
to see what I can get automated.  I figure this would be good module, plus
rolling stock as well.

It would be good to get together soon, but of course I need to work it out
with my better half.

I'm pretty much free in the evenings and on Sundays.  I usually work Monday
thru Saturday during the day.  Just let me know what you guys want to come up
with, and I should be able to make it.  Saturdays are sort of difficult to get
off unless I know about it ahead of time.  I need to get someone to swap days
with me at work, or ask off/take vacation time before the schedule is posted.

Wayne G.