 Local / United States / Missouri / 75
Re: Gats in St. Louis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mo
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:04:40 GMT

Wayne Green wrote in message ...
In lugnet.loc.us.mo, John DiRienzo writes:
Levering A. Reynolds wrote in message ...
The only real difference is clearances on tunnels and that sort of • thing.
(no
point in tearing up a whole section to move a row of bricks by one stud.

Definitely 8 or even 10 studs for tunnels

  I haven't built anything in 8 wide yet, but that doesn't matter, since • I
want to build new stuff for this project anyway.  You guys can decide • about
the scaling, just let me know.  Maybe we could use both?  For portability,
however, it might be better to stick to 6 wide, and thus a smaller scale.

   Either one works for me.  I began my acent from my dark ages about a • year
and a half ago, and just got interested in trains about 6 months ago.  I • havn't
made up any decent MOC's yet.  (I'm still waiting to get a new place for my
collection.  I don't have any room where I am at now.)  So I will have to • build
everything new regardless.

   Well, we'll need to figure that out.  I am good with the idea of starting
over, I don't have many Trains built right now.  I would like to buy a few
of the new set and make an impressive passenger liner with it.  I think it
will be easier in 6 wide.  I guess we could just use a Metroliner or two put
together for a great passenger train, I haven't really seen many better
looking MOCs than it.  Then I could spend the money I was planning to buy
new Trains with on some older Town stuff.  I am hoping the layout will have
other city type attractions besides the trains.  I think a 6542 Launch and
Load would be a good thing to put on the layout, again as is, but you guys
might be more creative than me.  (I hope)  I haven't done much dabbling with
Town, I am primarily a Castle builder.  I have done a little with Trains,
but as stated, its nothing great.

  There is a Toy Show about six times a year in StL.  Its at the • Machinists
Hall on the Rock Road.  Its more of a sales event, but I have been
considering including Lego in a future set up there.  I have sold
collectible toys at this show, and have wanted to bring Lego.  I think
having a setup would be conducive to selling some extra Lego at the show.
Regardless, table fees are very low, and getting a table gives us first
opportunity at other dealer's toys - I have bought Lego, in small amounts,
on lucky days at this show.
  Thats one place I have thought about setting up for a while, and think • we
could attract new members there.  I don't know about June.  I am poor at
scheduling, but if you guys think we can, lets get the show on the road!
  In another Lugnet group, someone mentioned making flyers for Lugnet, to
distribute through local toy stores.  I have also been pondering this • idea.
We could make some flyers, and perhaps some MOCs, to display in local toy
shops.  This could be good for attracting attention to our club and • getting
more members, and getting people onto Lugnet, too, who may otherwise never
find it.

Sounds interesting.  I've never heard of this before, but I'm not too • suprised.
It definitely sounds like a good opportunity.   As far as a large layout, • June
almost sounds a little bit too soon, as I am not sure what I can do before
then.  Until I move, my lego space is roughly limited to a 3x6ft table :(

  I will dig up the schedule, and find us a date to shoot towards, if we are
decided that it will be a good place to show off our stuff.  I will dig
around Postnet, too, to see if any other summer events sound more
appropriate.  Do you have any other suggestions where to look for such
events?

On another note, I did just get done building a test mock-up of a module • piece
:)  (I couldn't resist)  On a large grey baseplate, I did a corner of a • module.
I centered 4x4 hollow columns (made out of 1x4 and 1x2's, and 1x3's ) on • 32
stud centers with a 2x corner wall on the outside.  Straight columns up 20
studs, then branch out up to 25 studs at the top. (which is solid) I'm • surpassed
at how strong this is.  I can pick up the entire thing from the corner with • no
flex or anything.  Its suprising light, but it takes up a _LOT_ of bricks. • I
had one of the old large buckets full of bricks, and used up the vast • majority
of it.  (and for only the corner!!)  I wish I had a digital camera to take • a
picture of what I built to show you guys.  I don't know if we want to do 25
bricks high or not, but it seems like it would give us plenty of room to • work
with.  Some parts would be lower (of course), and some higher, so I guess • it
would give us enough room to work with.  Room for a subway/metrolink type • of
thing, if we want to go that route.

   I understand what you are saying.  Perhaps 25 is too high.  Maybe that
would be a good height for hilly areas.  It would be more economical to have
less brick support, but we want it to be strong.  How many of those modules
would you guess we'll need?  How big of an area are you envisioning?  3'x6'?
4'x8'?  10'x10' with areas for us in the middle?!  I am thinking we can
start small, and hopefully as we find more members we can really expand.  I
am still aiming to do the big NMRA show next year, but we'll need more
people for something that scale?  Right?
   At the moment, I have a lot of extra basic bricks, and also a full
finished basement where we can build and store, if needed.  I never thought
I'd use all these basic bricks, but maybe this will be my chance!  Maybe I
will even have to buy more!
   Can you post the link for the modules?  I can't locate it.

I've ranted for long enough.  Any ideas on what you guys want to see in the
layout?  (standards, setting, etc.)

   I put in a little about that above.  I think a harbor would be fantastic,
whether MOC or not.  I think lots of train type stuff is good, too,
depending on what we can put together.  A few town (not recent Lego style,
mind you, except perhaps McDs) buildings are needed, and I have enough for a
nice race track, if wanted.

  It had occurred to me to model StL.  We could build a fair representation
of the arch, as well as other local hot spots.  Stadium?  etc?  How about a
huge Amoco sign?!  Maybe a Schnucks, with the little Schnucks man in minifig
form?  I gotta stop.

   My general idea is to work on projects that will fit into the layout,
whether structures or trains, with a goal of putting it all together.  We
each build our own modules and each our own MOCs (or non-MOCs if they look
better than we can do ourselves) as part of those modules and then fit the
modules together.  We need to worry about more basic stuff (such as where
tracks will connect), but at the same time, know what our final goal is.

   Its too bad we didn't get to meet and hash this out in person, maybe
would have been easier.  Any good opportunities for another get together?
   I think we should get more ideas on paper, and then discuss the ideas.  I
am trying to get together ideas of what I would like to input into the
layout myself.  I'd like to build the harbor, and hoping you guys are
wanting to build something else, so we won't fight over who builds the
harbor.  I would like to know what you guys are thinking of putting in
yourselves.  If we all like the idea of an arch, then we need to figure out
who will build it.  Same for a train station, and everything else.  It would
look pretty silly with three arches!  If there isn't room for a harbor, or
if its adding too much too soon, I could gladly build something else.  We
need to find out from each other what we are each interested in building and
decide who builds what, and have a nice layout when we are done.  I am not
trying to be pushy, just looking for more detail in what we are doing.  I
like the idea of putting that big engine Andrew is working on, I have been
looking for the wheels, and wonder how we will incorporate that engine into
the final layout.  Will it be a running train, or a museum piece outside of
the local station?  Anyway...

--
   Have fun!
   John