 Local / United States / Colorado / Colorado Springs / 9
Re: Know of any good stores?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.co.cos
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:06:43 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.co.cos, Bryan Beckwith writes:
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good places to buy LEGOs in
Colo. Springs.  The last time I was at the Toys R' Us by the Citadel Mall,
they didn't seem to have much of a variety of sets.  I found some Mindstorms
at the Discovery Channel store there though.

I've been trying to rebuild my collection (I gave all of my LEGOs away at a
particularly stupid point in my teenage years) and have been trying to find
buckets of pieces.  I couldn't find the 1200 piece blue tubs (3033) anywhere
and ended up ordering one through Amazon.com.  I've had little luck finding
the red bucket sets too, although I have managed to find a small one and a
large one at Wal*Mart (on 8th St.) on seperate occasions.

Has anyone had any luck finding anything out at the flea market?  Know of
any other good place to find used sets or collections of pieces?  I found a
large home maker set (the kind with lots of pink pieces, whatever its
called) at the ARC thrift store in the Uintah Gardens Shopping Center, but I
passed it up and it was gone the next time I went there.

Anyway, let me know.

Bryan

Unfortunately there's not really any "good" places to buy Legos here.  Toys
R Us is good for the latest stuff (with the exception of the SW sets, they
didn't get those until well after other places got 'em.)  I usually shop the
Walmart up by Chapel Hills Mall, but that's because I live up there.  I also
frequent the Target on Union and Academy, which seems to be pretty good
(that's where I first found the new SW sets.)  I'm pretty sure I saw a whole
bunch of the 1200 pc blue tubs the last time I went there (a few days ago.)

Anyway, here's a breakdown of what I've experienced so far

Let's just call it Hadji's Unoffical Probably Inaccurate Guide to Lego
Shopping in Colorado Springs (HUPIGLSICS  ;)

Key:

sorry I don't know all the roads the stores are on:

Target:
    Academy + Union:  Good stock, although a bit empty since Christmas.
                      Decent prices, sometimes good clearances,
                      mostly newer stuff.
    By the Citadel:   Poor stock, usually common stuff.
    By Tinseltown:    Good stock, I've seen some old sets there.

Walmart:
    By Chapel Hills:  Good stock but almost completely empty since Christmas.
                      mostly common stuff, though I have seen some older sets
                      and some newer sets there.
    By the Citadel:   Good stock, mostly common stuff, some newer sets.
    8th Street:       Haven't been there in years.

K-Mart:  (can you believe we've got 4 friggin' K-Marts?  I think there's a
          5th, but I can't remember where it is.)
    In Chapel Hills:  Decent stock, mostly common stuff, some older sets.
    On Powers:        Never been there.
    By the Citadel:   Decent stock, mostly common stuff
    Filmore and Nevada:  Good stock, mostly common stuff, some older sets
                         (the only place in town you can still get Little
                          Ceaser's Pizza!)

Kay-Bee:
    In Chapel Hills:  Poor stock, typically older overpriced stuff.
    In the Citadel:   Poor stock, typically older overpriced stuff.

Zany Brainy:
    On Academy and Woodmen:  Poor stock, typically common overpriced stuff.

That's about it.  I'm sure there are some smaller toy stores I've left out,
but for the most part these are the only places in town to buy Lego.

In case you can't figure out my various "wordings," here's a key:
Good stock: Shelves typically full
Decent stock: Shelves typically partially full.
Poor stock: Shelves typically empty
Common stuff: Regular sets that have been around for the past year
Old sets: Sets that were released prior to last year
New sets: Sets that were released this year

Anyway, there you go and happy hunting.  I drive to Denver to hunt every now
and then, just because they have several TRUs and other good stores, but I
don't do it often enough to reccomend any places to shop.

-Bryan
hobartrus@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/hobartrus/index.html
http://brickshelf.com/gallery/hobartrus