Subject:
NMRA show (the first of many?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 06:00:37 GMT

  Well, the NMRA show is now behind us. Kudoes to GMLTC and PNLTC
who paved the way for LEGO Train Clubs (even if they have set the
bar *very high* for those that folllow them.;-). Many 'regulars'
from the NMRA circuit remembered them, and commented how popular
they are. Many folks also told us how much they enjoy the LEGO
displays at the shows.

  The NMRA show travels around the country. 2002 will be Florida.
2003 will be Toronto, Canada. I'm glad we had a chance to do this
in our own back yard, where I could go home each night for more
models or parts.

  We have been asked by another local group if we might be
interested in exhibiting at a show in Hayward, CA, in January 2001.
The Golden Gate Lionel Railroad Club is the group, and the flyer
says Sunday, 11a-4p, at Centennial Hall  (Foothill Blvd). One day,
nearby, and that say they'll display all gauges.

  Don't forget that GATS (the Great American Train Show) may roll
into the bay area around November...

  So, before we just say yes, maybe we should open up a thread about
how NMRA went, and whether we want to do another show. While I think
the event went well, I think that we learned a lot about putting on
a show, and we ought to discuss those things, if only to see if all
of the folks that supported the show feel the same things.

  As an example, I think that working the booth all day is hard on a
person, and we should consider working in shifts. I also think that
we should have had a few more folks around the booth. (With just two,
it was too hard to talk to visitors, and still watch for trouble on
all four sides of the layout...once 3-4 folks were there in the
afternoon, things seemed to work better, in my opinion.) So, for
future shows, we probably ought to have more involvement by other
club members, signing up for booth duty. How many folks would be
interested in general? How many folks could commit to the Hayward show?

  The show pictures can be found at http://www.baylug.com/bayltc/. Look
at the faces of the kids, and the families. We were never lonely. We
could suddenly be surrounded, with 20 little hands grabbing, touching,
reaching, while adults were asking questions. Mark Benz was right-on
with the handouts he created for us (which were *all gone* by 3:30!),
We also handed out more than 500 business cards. So many folks had
no idea that LEGO made trains.

  I have high hopes that we will find more members through our efforts
at NMRA. We got one new member during the weekend (Hello Healdsburg! :-)
There are a couple promising folks in S.F, and another in S.J., plus
a possible person in Chico...and these are just train folks! (Do we want
to consider setting up a display at another type of gathering, to look
for LEGO fans in other communities? Maybe a Ninja display at the annual
Japanese Festival, or taiko drumming competition?? :-)

  Food for thought. Please check out the picture. Those of us who worked
the booth (inside and outside) had a great time. You can get a feel for
the event through the pictures.

    Regards,

       -Z-

--
    The Bay Area LEGO Users Group (BayLUG) is open to kids of all ages.
homepage - http://BayLUG.org   membership - http://BayLUG.org/membership.html