Re: NMRA show (the first of many?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:44:30 GMT

John Gerlach says:

<snip>

As far as ropes vs. plexiglass - we don't use any!  Our layout is only about
40 inches deep, so if you're standing the inside of the layout you're not that
far away from the public.  We usually have three or four (or more) people
inside the layout, and we *always* have at least two people circulating around
the outside of the layout to answer questions and keep watch over little
fingers that might get too close.  Yes, we've had several crashes caused by
kids touching the trains.  You know what?  We don't get mad, we laugh and
start rebuilding!  (Just make sure that there is always someone close to the
speed regulators so you can shut down the trains in a hurry if necessary...)
Our best advice?  Talk to everyone - especially the kids.  If kids know you're
watching them, they'll usually be on their best behavior.  We generally talk
to the kids first, and then their parents.  I think that's the one thing that
separates us from most model railroad displays - we talk to everyone!

I have to agree with this. I don't like the idea of plexiglas. After all,
they are LEGO toys! I think if you have something that you don't want the
kids to play with, keep it out of reach. I for one love to be able to get
down and be at eye level with the layouts and watch the trains come by
witout the interference of plex. I'm sure we all know that kids think LEGOs
are to play with, so I think they will at least try. I think talking to
them up front will help curb any destruction.

Generally, most of them see us as the authority in a set up like this and
will be persuaded to not touch if we tell them not to. (of course there are
the exceptions...I think we just keep a hatchet around to ward them off
with ;-)) While I was there, most of the decent parents said right away,
don't touch that Johnny, it's not yours. I also noticed if one kid was
playing with something, that started the chain reaction of all the rest
diving in, then it got a bit out of hand. So having multiple persons around
to slow the violent actions would help.

Next time, I'll try to put more hours in at the show. I think a sign up
sheet for hours would be good.

Thanks to Mike, Z, the 2 Tom's and everybody else for doing so much to make
it happen. I had fun!

Fred

Fred Yokel
2635 North First Street, Suite 204