Re: NMRA show (the first of many?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:41:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Mark LaRue writes:
    While I could only be there on Thursday, before the show actually opened,
I knew just from the comments I heard from other contributors that it was
going to be a hit. I am available to help on the Hayward show and can commit
(or be committed).
    I hate to say it but Legos beg to be touched by kids. So the plastic is a
good idea(almost every other display had them). I like the duplo's idea and
have access to a bunch of them(zoo theme). You only have to look at the
pictures to see that every childs eyes are alight with Lego. We can all
understand. We should also look into a skirt for the tables(either a cheap
plastic/paper thing or some sheets bought for just these occasions).

When the GMLTC displayed at the 1999 NMRA show in St. Paul, we received
nothing but support from the "real" model railroaders.  They would ask
questions, make comments, point out mistakes (yea, we're not perfect!), and
seemed genuinely impressed with what you can build from LEGO bricks.  We even
had the president of the NMRA stop at our display, and comment that what we
were doing was just as valid as any other train display.  He also said that
LEGO trains would be a great way to get more kids involved with model
railroading.  (Does anyone else think that maybe someday we could have
a 'sig' - 'special interest group' within the NMRA for LEGO trains??)

One of my personal most satisfying moments was at a show where we won
the "Club's Choice" trophy - the award that is voted on by all the train
layouts displaying at the show.

As far as ropes vs. plexiglass - we don't use any!  Our layout is only about
40 inches deep, so if you're standing the inside of the layout you're not that
far away from the public.  We usually have three or four (or more) people
inside the layout, and we *always* have at least two people circulating around
the outside of the layout to answer questions and keep watch over little
fingers that might get too close.  Yes, we've had several crashes caused by
kids touching the trains.  You know what?  We don't get mad, we laugh and
start rebuilding!  (Just make sure that there is always someone close to the
speed regulators so you can shut down the trains in a hurry if necessary...)
Our best advice?  Talk to everyone - especially the kids.  If kids know you're
watching them, they'll usually be on their best behavior.  We generally talk
to the kids first, and then their parents.  I think that's the one thing that
separates us from most model railroad displays - we talk to everyone!

Congrats on the success of your first show - we wish you many more successful
shows!

JohnG, GMLTC
  (lose the '.nospam' to reply, or reach me at  gmltc_j1 @ yahoo.com )