Re: New LEGO groups?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 21:15:00 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, ba-lego@cinnamon.com (Zonker Harris) writes:
What great timing!! I was just going to send you a note with some
questions about how you handle the linking.

So far, we only have members from the couties that touch the SF Bay.
But, I don't have a problem with being a Northern California club,
if the members want to do that.

lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf-north might be in order here. While there's traffic on
.sf, it's not jammed with posts, and its subgroups .oak and .sj are even less
busy, and often contain posts redundant to .sf itself. The Eureka loc group
has had only one post, but it doesn't intuitively cover other northern areas
like Shasta, Redding, Chico, etc, whereas .sf-north would. Maybe the .sac
group could be included, until it needed a group of its own. Sacramento is
only a 2 hour drive from the Bay Area.

(I feel that most members would be
reluctant to travel more than, say, 100 miles for a LEGO gathering.
Generally speaking, that's based on how I feel, and I realize that
some events are worthy of exceptions, like my pilgrimage to LEGOLAND.)

This is true. And it offers even another reason why .north might a good idea:
people in outlying areas can contribute to their nearest club via the net even
though they'd never drive here. Baylug's first guest (non-member webpage) is
Carrie G. from Chico (about a 3 hour drive), and though she and I talked about
the unlikelihood that she'd ever visit a Baylug meeting personally, it didn't
seem out of place to host a page for her.

So if I follow those thoughts, I think that Sacto and Stockton
might be good areas for their own club.

Definitely, though I'm not against having them belong to Baylug, if they want,
until they get something going over there. And due to traffic, they probably
should be one group ATM, known as .sac-sto. Hehe, I can see future club names
as Saclug, Lugsac, Stocklug, and Lugstock. :-)

(Couple that thought with the
fact that the California Rail Museum is in Sacto, and I think Sacto
is a fine place for a LEGO Train Club! :-)

Amen belongs right there.

(The distance to Fresno is too far for a monthly drive, probably
too far for a quarterly drive if BayLUG is also having quarterly
meetings, but is reasonable for an annual event, for me to attend.
Going to San Diego for an event could be coupled with a trip to
Carlsbad, bu LA and San Ber-do are harder for me to consider. Still,
the scope of the event is going to be a big part of the decision
of whether the travel is justified.)

Central California is sparsely populated, relative to the 4 metros (LA, SD, SF
and Sac), but is geographically at *least* ten times as big. Even on the coast
(everything west of the coastal range), there are wide stretches between
towns. While collectively it might have enough people to establish a general
club or three, geographically it's almost too big to warrant one that would
meet frequently. Yet, maybe all those valley groups should be collapsed to a
lugnet.loc.us.ca.central group and let the lurkers of that group determine any
future division. Such a group could cover everything south of the environs of
Stockton all the way down to the Tehachapi and San Gabriel mtns. Looking at
the posts from the groups in central CA one can see that they don't get much
activity.

San Diego could have its own club I'm sure, but Los Angeles is another
discussion entirely. :-P  Strange that LA has so little traffic compared to SF.

OK, now back to linking groups...I'd like to see BayLUG linked to
the SF group hierarchy. I don't mind the foursome, but I don't see
much traffic on the Oakland and Concord groups. (I wouldn't miss
them, but maybe other have a different opinion? :-)

Originally, when I saw the groups, I thought they should have been,

.sf
.sf.northbay
.sf.eastbay
.sf.southbay

with eastbay perhaps one day splitting into .sf.tri-valley. And maybe in a way
I still want that, but right now, .sf seems to suit our needs.

I was a bit confused when I went to LUGNET with my web browser. The
top-level is now the top of the newsgroups, rather than a resources
page (which I was hoping it would grow into). What I was looking for
was a link to a "LEGO Users Groups and Clubs" page, which would be
a pointer to all of the club/group sites you have found, or who have
contacted you.

Very good idea. I was wondering about the absense of a link to baylug in .sf's
subgroups.

Since I get the BA-LEGO mailings, I don't need to use the LUGNET/SF
web page to find out what is happening...so I never saw our link.

I did, and it's a great idea, thankyou's to Todd.

Plus, as I get the train section pages going, I'd love to get a link
in the trains organization area.

Oh yes.

But, what if there isn't a train club around me? Maybe there is a
good Mindstorms group geographically nearby, but I don't look in the
Robotics section...I'd probably never find the club...so I'd miss the
chance to meet with nearby folks who might share other LEGO interests.
How about a single page, listing clubs by theme, or by region? I think
that kind of cross reference would be invaluable!

Yeah, baybee!

To that end, I'm starting to fill that gap for LEGO Train Clubs on
my page http://baylug.org/train/trainlinks.html. (I only made this
visible today, and it's a lot more than train links right now, since
I'm boiling down my bookmarks file...so, just focus on the first 8-10
boxes., and let me know what you think.)

BTW, thanks for the url. I'm pulling space links from it :-)

-Tom McD.