Re: New LEGO groups?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 19:01:13 GMT

  What great timing!! I was just going to send you a note with some
questions about how you handle the linking.

  So far, we only have members from the couties that touch the SF Bay.
But, I don't have a problem with being a Northern California club,
if the members want to do that. (I feel that most members would be
reluctant to travel more than, say, 100 miles for a LEGO gathering.
Generally speaking, that's based on how I feel, and I realize that
some events are worthy of exceptions, like my pilgrimage to LEGOLAND.)

  So if I follow those thoughts, I think that Sacto and Stockton
might be good areas for their own club. (Couple that thought with the
fact that the California Rail Museum is in Sacto, and I think Sacto
is a fine place for a LEGO Train Club! :-)

  (The distance to Fresno is too far for a monthly drive, probably
too far for a quarterly drive if BayLUG is also having quarterly
meetings, but is reasonable for an annual event, for me to attend.
Going to San Diego for an event could be coupled with a trip to
Carlsbad, bu LA and San Ber-do are harder for me to consider. Still,
the scope of the event is going to be a big part of the decision
of whether the travel is justified.)

  OK, now back to linking groups...I'd like to see BayLUG linked to
the SF group hierarchy. I don't mind the foursome, but I don't see
much traffic on the Oakland and Concord groups. (I wouldn't miss
them, but maybe other have a different opinion? :-)

  I was a bit confused when I went to LUGNET with my web browser. The
top-level is now the top of the newsgroups, rather than a resources
page (which I was hoping it would grow into). What I was looking for
was a link to a "LEGO Users Groups and Clubs" page, which would be
a pointer to all of the club/group sites you have found, or who have
contacted you.

  Since I get the BA-LEGO mailings, I don't need to use the LUGNET/SF
web page to find out what is happening...so I never saw our link.
Plus, as I get the train section pages going, I'd love to get a link
in the trains organization area.

  But, what if there isn't a train club around me? Maybe there is a
good Mindstorms group geographically nearby, but I don't look in the
Robotics section...I'd probably never find the club...so I'd miss the
chance to meet with nearby folks who might share other LEGO interests.
How about a single page, listing clubs by theme, or by region? I think
that kind of cross reference would be invaluable!

  To that end, I'm starting to fill that gap for LEGO Train Clubs on
my page http://baylug.org/train/trainlinks.html. (I only made this
visible today, and it's a lot more than train links right now, since
I'm boiling down my bookmarks file...so, just focus on the first 8-10
boxes., and let me know what you think.)

    -Z-

--
Zonker Harris  (zonkerh@corp.webtv.net, zonker@gnac.com)
Onsite Network Support, currently at 1250 Charleston Rd., Mt. View, CA