  Self Supporting Pod Racers

Hi All, Has anyone else built a "real" pod racer where you eliminate the tan 2x plates, bricks, etc. and use black 12 gage solid copper wire to support the control "cabin"? (you also need additional clamps in front) Mark (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Self Supporting Pod Racers

(...) I've removed the tan parts, but have not added wire. To hold the engines together, you can use Technic pins in the "Energy beams" -- not perfect, but it works. You'll need two hands to fly the pod-racer (one for the engines, one for the (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Self Supporting Pod Racers

(...) What would happen if you added more of the flex tubes? Two more tubes, properly fastened, might give enough rigidity to hold up the 'cabin'. -- Terry K -- (25 years ago, 6-Jun-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.starwars)

Terry K wrote in message <3759bdce.4028094@lu...et.com>... (...) the (...) One of the pod racers im working on has 4 of the flex tubes(the blue ones from the gungan sub), since im doing a non-standard(ie its 2 'engine' pods oriented horizontally), (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jun-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Self Supporting Pod Racers

(...) I was thinking about that whole pod racer design. I mean, as far as the tan supports . . . if you were going to set up the pod race in some sort of desert diorama set up, they'd work great. They would probably blend right in. As far as just (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jun-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Self Supporting Pod Racers

(...) I think the transparent plastic is somewhat more brittle than opaque plastic (and more expensive to produce). These aren't a problem with the STAPs, because there isn't much weight (or plastic) involved. The long plates on the pod racers might (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Self Supporting Pod Racers

[lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf snipped] (...) Or run wires through the flex tubes? The attachment points would need to be modified (those 1x1 clips won't hold), but the pod should be OK. Anyone got a good design for crossing the streams in a four-engine pod (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Self Supporting Pod Racers

(...) Wow! Thanks for the idea. Since I seem to have wire laying around (I make chainmaille), I checked, and 16 gauge wire fits pretty darn well. A little weak, but 4 tubes just might work. Looking for something with a little more grip? Use the 1x1 (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

Charles Seyferth <feanor23x@geocities.com> wrote in message news:375C76CE.D25882...ies.com... (...) There was one in the movie, and in SW:E1 Racer. Details to follow for those who STILL have not seen the movie and don't want it spoiled (I think (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Self Supporting Pod Racers

(...) His name is Ben Quadrinaros, which might make it slightly easier to find shots of his Pod for reference material. eric (25 years ago, 8-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Self Supporting Pod Racers

(...) WARNING: THESE INSTRUCTIONS REQUIRE COLD, HEARTLESS MUTATION OF UNEXPECTING AND INNOCENT LEGO PIECES. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. To make Quadrinaros' Pod, I used two standard energy beams from Anakin's Podracer. Attach them in an X, then tie clear (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)