 Local / United Kingdom / 6558
Re: Sopwith Camel: Model Team by any other name...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 11:26:00 GMT

I think the idea of no military sets extended to plausible reality.
The space and medieval / fantasy are far enough removed from reality
the adventure sets have dinosaurs / mummies and although they are around the
right period they are not actuallty military badged (it was relitively easy
to get hold of ex-mil aircraft after the great war)

It might be that WW1 may beyond the scope of living memory but I'd hesitate
to badge it as fantasy :)

I think the real reason is beacuse it is actually badged as a sculpture and
therefore exempt from the self imposed limitations of the 'System'

"Jon D Hayward" <JonDHayward@Yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
"Lawrence Wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesfamily.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:GDJ1MH.IGx@lugnet.com...

"Nathaniel Cross" <nathaniel@than.org> wrote in message
I have to agree with everything Huw says - it's a really excellent • set.
The
radial engine is particularly nice. It's a shame the strings on the • wings
aren't taut but, like Huw says, a little tweakery may be possible • here.

Unless I'm mistaken this is a significant set in another way - isn't • it
the
first 'modern' military model from Lego? Previously everything has • been
ancient (castle, ninja) or futuristic/fantasy (space). The Camel is a
serious WW1 killing machine.

Well we would have to define modern I guess.
Let's face it, the Sopwith is from another millennium now!
Nearly a century old.
Remember the wild west theme isnt much older.

Perhaps WW1 is beginning to become beyond living memory and therefore OK • for
fantasy.

Don't the Adventurer sets count as WW1 too? Certainly included a couple of
biplanes (complete with guns) - one similar to the SE5a...

Just Jono .oO