 Local / United Kingdom / 2823
Re: re-What is happening to LEGO in UK +others
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 17:14:32 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, David Graham writes:
LEGO like other toys has been in decline in the UK for some years.
There are now very few shops that sell a good range of LEGO so its very
difficult to buy, its ages since I baught a set inb a shop in the UK.

It is very different on the continent, there are more toy shops and lots
of LEGO.

I think its partly because children are growing up earlier and only play with
LEGO for a few years, where is the street cred in playing with LEGO?

I agree. Have been to toy shops in Germany, Austria and Holland in the last 12
months and they seem to have healthy stocks of lego. Especially train which
has disappeared in UK.

I dont think my personal preferences for lego are much to go by, but I rarely
buy new stuff (until its discounted at least) as it doesnt appeal any more.

I really want just lots of architectural elememts to make big buildings. You
could buy them in individual boxes when I was young. The town sets of the 80's
and 90's were not bad, combining themes plus lots of usable bricks. But town
sets of late are a joke. A couple of windows, a couple of juniorised walls and
your supposed to make anything you want from it, except there are so few
pieces the only thing you can make is whats on the box. To make anything
decent you would need several sets and the prices are extortional (another
reason for their decline I think). There's no way to expand the sets.

I think its fairly simple really, They are just not good value for money in
comparison to other toys, which seem also to have more appeal to kids of
today. And they dont care about the adult market by making sets that appeal to
them.

Star wars has been a salvation I think, its the only theme my kids actually
looked forward to.

Perhaps lego direct and bulk buying will be their salvation in the adult
market. Fingers crossed

regards

lawrence