 Local / United Kingdom / 2822
Re: re-What is happening to LEGO in UK +others
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 17:04:48 GMT

Maybe all the Lego sold out over Christmas and the Mega-Bloks abd K'nex were
left on the shelf :-).

Rob the Optimist.

In lugnet.loc.uk, David Graham writes:
LEGO like other toys has been in decline in the UK for some years.
I remember just a few years ago Woolworths having several aisles of
LEGO, now there is only one shelf.
I didn't think K'nex would last but is has and is more readily available.

There are now very few shops that sell a good range of LEGO so its very
difficult to buy, its ages since I baught a set inb a shop in the UK.

It is very different on the continent, there are more toy shops and lots
of LEGO.

I think its partly because children are growing up earlier and only play with
LEGO for a few years, where is the street cred in playing with LEGO?

David

By the way, how do you post messages to lugnet offline like you can with
with rtl?

Got 'my' Lego club magazine and catalogue today, the 2000 calander was
pathetic no wonder they are loosing out to other toys.

Also, I liked the February edition of the LEGO adventurers magazine
as it showed some of the models that didn't make it into the Arctic
range.  One day they will have a feature on trains ??

From rtl

Have the UK stockists forsaken LEGO?

My local Beatties (Portsmouth) seems to be selling off its old stock of Town
stuff and the LEGO shelves have almost disappeared with no sign of the 2000
sets.  The only new Star Wars set they had was the Battle Droid and they had
that one back in November.  In contrast the Mega-Blocks shelves have
expanded at the expense of LEGO and seem destined to take over that part of
the store.

Woolworths - only old Insectoids stuff on display with a few hundred
"Chopper Cops" (can't remember the number) from Town on sale.  No new Star
Wars stuff or any 2000 at all.

Index - latest catalogue only appears to have Mega-Blocks listed and no LEGO
(unless I blinked and missed it).

Anyone else encounter a LEGO "purge" in the UK?

Andrew.