 Local / United Kingdom / 2821
Re: re-What is happening to LEGO in UK +others
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 17:01:02 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, David Graham writes:
LEGO like other toys has been in decline in the UK for some years.

In my area (thames valley) things arent quite so bad.

Entertainer, Camberley or Reading - did decline but seems to have got more
shelf space back at xmas, but mainly to the large amounts of discontinued
sets. They have all the 2000 stuff, but their prices on new stuff always seem
the most expensive

Bentells (Bracknell) has very large stocks, tons of 2000 stuff. Lots of old
sets too, but still at full price. They never seem to put it in the sale or
try to get rid of it, .e.g they still have a technic space shuttle for £95,
and are selling old discontinued themes (nothing special) for full retail,
that are on special offer everywhere else. They had a big toy sale at xmas and
had no lego in it, despite the fact that some of their sets must have been
gathering dust for many years now.

John Lewis (or Heelas) dont have as much as they used to but their prices are
always good

Daniels in Windsor have very large stocks, including lots of all the 2000 sets
(was there today as it turns out). Prices are variable, some high, some low.
They have older sets too but rarely discounted. They have lots of the 8462 6
wheel tow truck at the moment for £49.
They probably have large stocks due to the proximity of Legoland and the
expectation that visitors to the town might buy in Daniels if they didnt in
Legoland.

Smaller toy shops seem to have had a purge. Toymaster who have a few branches
around either have none or carry more best lock than lego.

A local toy shop in my village carries almost nothing except Star Wars (its
the only thing that sells she says), and is very expensive (8001 for £26)

Woolies seems to have purged lego

Beaties in Reading has very little.

regards
lawrence