 Local / Nederland / 1296
Re: Help with Old Dutch Printed Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:52:26 GMT

Duq, Saskia,
Sorry about the mix-up, no offense intended. I'm glad I posted to the
correct country. This gallery has been a learning experience for me. Thanks
for the info. I would love to find more Dutch bricks, but they are fairly
scarce in California. If you have any you can take photos of, the pictures
would find a welcome home in my gallery.

I am open to new pictures of any vintage printed pieces (no stickers), not
just bricks. I do try to limit the collection to vintage pre-1977 pieces
(before the yellow castle). Peeron & other places do a great job of
collecting images & varieties of 'modern' pieces since 1977. As for the 2x2
slopes, I didn't know that they existed in vintage printed varieties. If
there are any, I will post any pictures I get of them. My main goal, right
now, is to gather images of as many printed beams as I can.

The Automatiek is interesting. I can't find a matching brick in another
language. It would translate pretty well into Snack Bar, but the snack bar
set came much later. This brick is hollow bottom with modern logo on studs
(early 1960's). I wonder if that brick translated into the Cafe bricks of
other countries (although Cafe usually means people serving, not machines)?
What would Cafe be in Dutch?

Thanks,
Clark

PS: Thanks Ben, I didn't make the Automat connection. I do know that name,
but agree that it isn't used anymore. It brings to mind the old black and
white movies advertising the "City of Tomorrow" with rows of food vending
machines and everything at your fingertips with the touch of a button.