 Local / Canada / 524
Re: Zeller's 50% off clearance toys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 13:40:13 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Jean-Marc Détraz writes:

During the recent 15% off sale (about 2 weeks ago), we had bought quite a lot
of the already discounted Ninja sets (mainly for parts) at an additional 30%
off.  Karen took in the receipt from 9 days ago, and the store credited her
with the additional 20%!  The store policy is that if an item goes on sale
within 2 weeks of purchase, you can have the difference between the price you
paid and the lower price.  All I can say is, too bad we didn't go in this
morning!

What??!  I specifically emailed Zellers about this, asking if they had a price
guarantee policy, and what the time limit was.  They told me it was only good
for items originally bought at "regular price"..., discounted and on-sale
items the first time around were excluded.

If anyone needs any of the following sets at 50% off, let me know and I can go
back on Monday (thank goodness the stores are closed on Sunday - it's nice
to have a day off!):

8445 Indy Storm

Not for me personally, but I'd recommend you snapping up the Indy Storms.
Those are pretty hard to come by in stores now, I'd imagine someone would want
them.

For my own part, I made out like a bandit Saturday.  (Incidentally, someone
originally posted that the sale started on Friday but it didn't, which may be
why some people didn't see the clearance prices when they checked then.)
Anyhow, having pretty much already cleaned out the 3 Zellers stores in Windsor
(Ontario) of stuff I was interested in at 30% off (Pirate ships, Outback,
etc.), I needed a new market.  Since I needed to get my car serviced at the
Nissan dealer in London (nearest Canadian one to Windsor), I decided to check
there.  So I got up really really early, to make sure I was in London for the
08:00 open and the 10% off early bird deal.  I hit all 6 stores (one was a
Best Value) inside of 2.5 hours.  My trunk was completely stuffed full.

Mostly I got 6456s, 6455s, 6093s, 6089s, 5988s, and the occasional Divers,
Outback, and Town sets.  I skipped the multitude of Ninja, UFOs, Insectoids,
Aquazone, Star Wars, etc.  But there were none of the elusive Pirate or Train
sets I was hoping for.  I got both the 50% clearance and the 10% early bird
off at every store.

Later in the day, after getting my car back, I headed off to St.Thomas, about
0.5 hour form London.  I went into their lone Zellers store and all I found
was a 6093 (well 2, but one had the flip-up cover ripped off) and a 5988.  I
was standing there in the aisle, leaning on the cart, just staring into space
thinking about stuff for some reason.  My gaze started going higher, to the
top of the shelving unit.  And there it was.  A lone 4561 Train Set.  Very
slowly my mind starts to process this find, while my gaze starts going along
the top of the shelves to see what else was there.  Another 4561..., and
another, and another...  The top was almost completely full of 2 sets, the
4561, and the 6456.  And it's no wonder there were so many, nobody could see
them up there!  I got an employee and pointed up at the train sets and said,
help me get those down and I'll take as many of them as you can find up there.
I filled the back seat of my car, and my VISA is just weeping  :]  I didn't
touch the 6456s, of which I believe there were over a dozen up there.

While going into the check-out line, I went by an older gentleman and his wife
who were checking out, and he said "early Christmas shopping?" when he saw the
cart stuffed full of train sets.  It was then that I noticed his wife had 2
train sets herself, and a 6456.  Man, if I had been there first thing in the
morning, and assuming I'd noticed the top shelf as well..., boggles the mind.

For those who are curious, I will be selling most of what I found.  It just
won't be right away as I'm too busy at work.  I've never tried selling stuff
before so this will be new to me.  I think I'll try ebaY or BrickBay first,
and then maybe just do straight sales if that gets to be too much work.  Stay
tuned!

Now I've got to go do some overtime at work to pay for yesterday's
1000-dollar LEGO bill until I can sell some of them  <ouch!>

KDJ
Kyle D. Jackson, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, LUGNETer #203