 Local / Canada / 1396
Re: OT: help in vacation planning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 04:37:13 GMT

For the benefit of the 7-11 age group, I'd have to suggest the Ontario
Science Center. I used to practically live there in the summers when I
was that age.

For the adults (and children to a lesser extent) I'd suggest you give
a good look at the Stratford Festival (2h west of Toronto). IIRC this
is the worlds largest annual Shakespearean Theater event outside of
England. I think it's their 50th anniversary this year. Be forewarned:
the 2-for-1 and student specials tend to sell out by the end of March.
Regina and I have gone there every year for 10 years running, usually
on our anniversary. You can pretty much forget about getting to a
weekend performance this late in the year (April, I mean) but you
should be able to get seats for week day performances. There is also a
tour for students. I don't recall the details - they aren't relevant
to me so I've skipped over them - but you can get a program from the
Festival Box Office. It was at Stratford, btw., where, as a part of a
school trip, I had my first exposure to live theater all those eons
ago.

If you do go, I'd strongly recommend the Festival Inn, although there
are a number of Bed-and-Breakfasts in town too. If you are going for a
matinee performance, they run from 1 - 4pm, giving you lots of time
for dinner and the drive back to Toronto, so you won't necessarily
need accommodations, but if it's an evening performance, spending
three hours in a theater, followed by a 2-hour drive back to the city,
arriving at 1am is just brutal. I did it once early on because I
naively thought that, with literally dozens of inns, hotels, B&B in
town, it wouldn't be hard to find accommodation on the day of the
performance. I've never made that mistake again.

On a different note, if you want nature walks, may I suggest Point
Pelee National Park, just outside of Leamington Ontario. This has the
distinction of being the most southerly point in Canada and features a
very unique micro-climate. It's a focal point for migrating birds an
butterflies preparing to cross lake Erie. There are two beaches (east
and west sides of the point). The west side is most easily accessible
by car and can get quite busy. The eastern beaches are almost totally
deserted, mainly because you have to run the gauntlet to get to it.
There's also a large marsh with a boardwalk running through it. It's
always loaded with wildlife. If you go, consider that it's a 4-hour
drive from Toronto. If you want to stay in town, I'd suggest the Day's
Inn - 2 indoor pools (1 with slides), badminton courts, even live
theater on Saturday nights, and not too expensive. Not exactly five
star accommodation, but a nice family place none the less. Try to get
a  room on the outside of the building (south side). The courtyard
with one of the pools and the gaming area is in between the two halves
of the main building and the whole thing is covered with a roof so
sound reverberates within the large open space. That's why I try to
avoid taking inner rooms.

Matthias Jetleb