 Local / Canada / 1392
Re: OT: help in vacation planning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 22:33:55 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Mario Ferrari writes:
Hi all

Please excuse this OT post, but I’m planning a three weeks vacation in
Canada with my family this summer and I’m looking for suggestions.

We will visit the big cities and spend some days there, but we do prefer
quite, secluded places rather than crowded and busy towns, so our ideal
accommodations are bungalows, small lodges or chalets immersed in the
nature, possibly good starting points for walks and horse-rides, canoeing
and fishing.

The fact that a place is "famous" is not important at all for us. I included
the Banff area in the tour because I read is a really extraordinary area,
even though there’s much tourism. But I’m open to suggestions about other
places, maybe less renowned but nice, quite and not crowded.

I'm sure there will be a lot more replies by more qualified people, but
here's my two cents:

If you're in Toronto, you probably could spend at least one or two days to
visit the CN Tower and downtown Toronto items like the Royal Ontario Museum
and the Art Gallery of Ontario.  There's a relatively strong theatre
district for musicals and the like, and there's also a lot of diverse ethnic
areas like Chinatown, the Danforth area (Greek) and Christie/Bloor area
(Korean) all pretty close via transit/subway.  I'm not a fan of doing the
"touristy" places either but Toronto is quite a cosmopolitan city and worth
a look-unlike some of the larger North American cities, you can get to lots
of places by subway and the entire downtown area is pretty safe and walkable
in comparison to say something like New York or LA.

Around the Toronto area there are a number of locations which you can visit
within a couple hours of driving.  A half day excursion can get you to
Niagara Falls (impressive for the falls, and pretty tacky for the rest of
it-stay away from the tourist traps surrounding) and the Niagara On the Lake
area.  There are a lot of bed and breakfast type lodging in Niagara On the
Lake and it's really quite beautiful.  That area also happens to have a lot
of wineries/vineyards.

Ontario has many provincial parks including the huge Algoquin National Park
(7000 square km).  This would be your best bet for camping and other
outdoors activities like canoeing, kayaking and fishing etc.  I'm not the
big out doors expert but one thing that's particularily special about Canada
is that it has a lot of well run government parks that aren't commercial-ie
not the KOA type of giant RV parking lots you'd find in the States.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/

Most are within an hour or two of driving too.  Hiking in the Niagara
Escarpment is also pretty cool-and it's close to Toronto.  There's a number
of trails marked out there-including the Bruce Trail, which is probably the
big one.

Overall, check out the Ontario Ministry of Tourism's website-they have a
whole lot of information about places to visit around the GTA:

http://www.ontariotravel.net/

Note that Ottawa (the nation's capital) and Montreal are about 5-6 hours
drive away from Toronto and also make good 2-3 day trips.  Both have active
Lego groups (ParLUGment and MonLUG) too!  Most visitors to Toronto make the
effort to at least check out Ottawa for a few days-and you can easily get up
there by car or by train.  It's so easy to get there, even I can get there
without a map.

Last but not least, I would LOVE to meet some of you Canadian AFOLS in
Toronto and Vancouver. As soon as I have the dates finalised, I will post
them here to see if we can arrange an evening together.

We'd love to.  Just let us know when-I think Chris has already emailed you.
There's lots of people who'd love to meet you here in rtlToronto, and we can
defintely catch up with you for dinner, barbeque or whatever.  Mid July
sounds like the timeframe for rtl11 anyways.  rtlToronto makes a concerted
effort to meet up with other Lego enthusiasts whenever they're coming out to
the GTA :)

Calum