 Local / Canada / 1160
Re: Canada Lego Fest ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org.ca.monlug, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 05:25:52 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Shiri Dori writes:
As an outsider who's been to two Brickfests, and arranged an event within
one of them, I have a few suggestions... of course, I probably wont make it
to your fest so these are just totally informal ideas for ya to think about.

It probably would, yes. However, I think it's fair to say that:
Brickfest 2000 was mostly unorganized and it went great.
Brickfest 2001 was extremely organized and well planned (by the amazing
Christina Hitchcock) and it was *stunning*.
The effort people put into the event ahead of time SHOWS. That doesn't mean
you can't have a blast with an unorganized fest; just keep it in mind.

Thanks for info!   rtlToronto has a tendancy to be well organized before the
event, but the events are deliberately kept unorganized to make it as
flexible as possible.  Example would be, room bookings, posters, game specs
tend to be up and planned well in advance, usually there are no "We lost the
game board!" type panics.  Planning is usually double failover, if I don't
do it, Chris usually does.  But when it comes to the event, we tend to be
pretty elastic.  Example would be, allowing robots into the game (ie, guy
with servos on his robot), adjusting start times to fit the needs of the
competitors, where to go for dinner etc.

When I ran CSIE98, a national industrial engineering professional and
student conference, every movement, down to where people would eat and
breath was planned.  We used my kitchen pantry wall and Post it notes.  We
had hats for the people to bring people from one hall to another.  We had
umbrells for the people if it was raining.  We had alternate routes if the
snow as a problem.  We had backup LCD projectors.  We kept a laser printer
in a closet in case we needed a second.  In contrast, when I attended CSIE99
at Dalhousie University in Halifax, there was much less planning and it was
more fun.  It's hard to say.  We walked around Halifax and chatted in hotel
rooms.  *

Calum
*-I needed to feel wispy for a minute, hold on...